Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Meanderings






A Nice Surprise! Last evening I was reading email when I noticed one that had as its subject line "picture of Marge and Rocky." When I opened it, there was a short note from Marjorie Lewis' great granddaughter, Abby, who told me the photo was among some of the dog items she had that belonged to Marge.

Some of you who have been reading this blog for a while probably read the tribute I wrote to Marge in April 2009. Those who have not, I invite you to go to the archives and read about the impact Marge had on my life. She was my mentor, my handler, and my friend and I owe her so much. If not for her guidance I know I would not be where I am today.

That said, it was wonderful to see the picture Abby sent. Marge looks great, although it is certainly not the most attractive picture of Rocky (aka Multiple Group Winning American Canadian Champion Joyslyn's Piece of the Rock ROM), Joyslyn's first champion. The other picture of Rocky was taken at a Kansas City show by a Hallmark photographer. It appeared on two calendars.

Show Results. The Elgin Kennel Club show last weekend was fun. Five of us grooming 10 Lhasas, a Maltese, and a Cavalier were crowded into our little grooming area, but everyone managed well enough. Let me begin by saying it was a good practice weekend for us and that's about it. Walker was entered only on Saturday (because I wanted to get home ASAP on Sunday). Walker won the Breed but did not place in Group. Saturday Zach was tentative going around on his own. He shows much better when there are other dogs in the ring, so he perked right up when he had to go in for Winners Dog. I was much happier with his performance then and also on Sunday when he was more relaxed in the ring. Belle was along for the ride on Saturday but was entered on Sunday.

A rundown on the winners: Saturday Karen's black Lhasa, Ace, won the major, which put him one point away from his championship. The Winners Bitch, Best of Winners, and Best Opposite Sex on Saturday was Jan's Dora so she got a major also.

Sunday, LaVonne's Parker took Winners Dog for the major. LaVonne was thrilled since it was Parker's first weekend at shows. Zach was showing nicely and he took Reserve. Belle actually got herself in gear and walked. I cannot get her to get her head up so it is very frustrating to know she has a nice outline but looks dorky with her head lower than it should be. She took 3rd in her class of three. Melissa's bitch took Winners Bitch but the judge did not cross over the points. Parker took Best of Breed.

Then I came home to find out that a simple little carpentry job my husband was working on turned into a trip to the ER when the table saw got his thumb! It was chewed up so that the doctor was not able to stitch it but Lynn said it was not cut as badly as he feared when it happened.

Looking Ahead. Desi, Belle, and Walker are entered in the Des Moines show on September 11th and 12th. Then we are all at home for a while until early October for the Freeport and Stone City shows in Illinois.

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment