Monday, August 2, 2010

Show Results and Some Other Things




In my last post I mentioned that we were headed to the Waukesha shows. We had a great time seeing Lhasa people and their dogs! The weather had been raining the days before the show so the ground was soggy and slippery and muddy and just generally yucky. Some people were walking around in very fashionable show clothes and rain boots. Those of us without boots either lost our shoes in the ring or sported muddy legs either from spatters or from, in my case, kneeling on the ground to pose the dogs. It was a toss up…muddy legs or bend over the dog hoping the skirt I was wearing was long enough for bending over modestly. Taking no chances, I opted for muddy legs.

Both my dogs showed better on Saturday than on Sunday. Belle took 2nd in her class of four on Saturday but by golly she walked in that grass and straw–covered mud. Walker took Best of Opposite Sex Saturday. On Sunday he took Select Dog. On Sunday Belle ended up 4th out of four, and rightly so. She just didn't care for trudging through the turf. Walker didn't either. I was more disappointed with their performances than with their placements.

After his Select Dog placement on Sunday, Walker had earned enough points to get his Grand Champion title. The Grand Champion title is a new (as of mid-May 2010) AKC title. Only champions of record can compete for the title. A dog has to earn 25 points under four different judges, defeating at least one other champion at three shows. Three of his wins have to be major wins of 3, 4, or 5 points. As with a championship, the points are determined by the number of dogs entered. Anyway, Walker met all of the qualifications in 6 shows, winning three 5 point majors, two 4 point majors, and one 3 point major. He won 4 Best of Breeds, one Best Opposite Sex, and one Select Dog on his way to the title. So, as you have assumed from reading this, I am quite pleased! At the top of the page is a photo of Walker taken in August last year at the Burlington, IA show.

Next weekend we are in Burlington, IA for three shows. We'll be inside in air conditioning and back on mats for showing. I've entered Zach, Desi, Belle, and Walker all three days. I'll have a lot of juggling to do. My husband said he'd go with me on Friday to help so that will be an adventure since he has not been in a show ring for years and years.

Oh...and I have finally joined the rest of the world and now am on Facebook.

If you or someone you know is looking for a Lhasa puppy, let me know. A recent serious illness of an American Lhasa Apso Club member resulted in the necessity of finding new homes for the majority of her adult dogs and all of her puppies. If you are interested in finding out more about these dogs, please email me and I will give you the contact information of the people who are caring for her dogs and making efforts to find them loving homes. My email address is lhasas@joyslynslhasaapsos.com

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh I wish I could have another Lhasa, but I'm sure Tashi would have something to say about that! We've three dogs and that's a crowd already. I'm sure the pups and dogs will be snapped up shortly.

    You really care about your Lhasa friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah. We hope they can all find new homes quickly. I saw the older puppies at the Waukesha show and they were sure cute and friendly. They are being well cared for and I have had a couple of inquiries about them already. My friends who are taking care of them and working to find loving homes are to be commended for their generousity in opening hearts and home to help a friend in need.

    ReplyDelete