Monday, August 23, 2010

A Special Day, An Upcoming Show, Some Updates and Other Stuff

Hi Everyone! Today is a special day for me! Twenty-seven years ago today my daughter Erikka was born!

Everyone knows me for producing and showing fine Lhasa Apsos, but I am most proud to be Erikka's mother. She is an exceptional young woman. I consider her not only my daughter but also my friend.

I don't think she regularly reads this blog, but Rikk, if you happen to be reading this one, I love you!

Speaking of birthdays, I had my own on the 15th. I saw a greeting card recently that was so true. On the front: Inside every old person… On the inside…There's a young person wondering what the hell happened. So very true! Next year I am facing "the new 40," and mostly I'm wondering where the heck all those years went and how they managed to sneak by so fast.

I am gearing up this week for two days of showing at the Elgin Kennel Club shows held at the Kane County Fairgrounds in St. Charles, IL. Zach and Walker will be shown on Saturday. Zach and Belle will be shown on Sunday. If you live nearby, come to the show to see us. We show in Ring 7 at 1:15 on Saturday and Ring 6 at 11:30 on Sunday. I'll probably need help holding dogs at ringside, so if you show up, I may put you to work!

An update on the puppies and adults for whom we were seeking homes is in order. My WI friends tell me that all have been spoken for except a young adult female and one of the now 10 or 11 week old puppies.

Another update related to the post regarding anti-dog legislation:
The Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) is a Washington nonprofit watchdog group supported by a mixture of industry stakeholders and members of the general public. Serving as CCF's Director of Research and principal expert on the animal rights movement, food toxicology, and environmental issues, David Martosko has led CCF's launch of groundbreaking websites like PetaKillsAnimals.com, ActivistCash.com, and MercuryFacts.org. A consumer advocate and nonprofit watchdog, David has testified about the threat of animal-rights violence and eco-terrorism before the United States Senate and has testified about the hidden agendas of some of today’s animal rights movement leaders before the U.S. House of Representatives. He blogs about the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) at www.HumaneWatch.org.

"Martosko says HSUS is playing a long game, looking 30 years down the road, and they are playing offense all of the time. Martosko said it takes about 30 years to move an idea from unthinkable to public policy. An idea moves from unthinkable, to radical, to acceptable, to sensible, to public policy. As an example, Martosko said to look at smoking bans in public places today. Thirty years ago that was unthinkable. To move an idea from unthinkable to public policy requires two things: money and imagination. HSUS has $191 million in assets and spent $130 million just on its marketing budget last year. Plus HSUS has an imagination to match its budget; just look at the ads they ran for Proposition 2......" (from Don't Be Afraid to Use the S-Word http://fbact.illumen.org/article.jsf?postId=7371 )

Another site of interest is the National Animal Interest Alliance
http://www.naiaonline.org/ In particular read Could Dogs be the Next Endangered Species? http://www.bewareanimalradicals.com/endangered_dogs.html

Other than that, there is not too much to report. I'll let you know if anything exciting happens at the shows.

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce

2 comments:

  1. Great post Joyce, Keep up the good work. I follow HumaneWatch on FB and appreciate the info that I get from it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday and good luck in St Charles!

    ReplyDelete