Monday, September 13, 2021

Happy September!

"There is a time in late September when the leaves are still green, and the days are still warm, but somehow you know that it is all about to end." ~ Sharon McCrumb
 

Suffice it to say that "life is interesting" around here -- and busy too. The puppies are growing and getting more demanding. I heard one crying this morning and went to check on her only to find that she was frustrated because she was trying (and failing) to climb the stairs. 

We are working on weaning them and I have to say that it has been a frustrating experience. I have never had so much trouble with that process. After a week, I think the puppies and I have come to an agreement that my job is to prepare food and their job is to eat it!

Other than feeding and cleaning up after puppies, not much is new around here. When I last wrote, we were getting ready to go to 4 days of shows in Amana, Iowa. We went and had some good luck. 

These shows were held outside for most of the breeds. On day one the sky opened and there was a downpour. I had promised my friend Jane that I would help her show her Shibas. Their ringtime was 8:00 and by the time we were done, we were all soaked to the skin! It was worth it though when Jane's dog won the major.

I was staying with friends Jan Graunke and Karen Schlais. When I returned to Jan's motorhome, I announced that there was no way I was going to show my Lhasas and get them soaking wet after spending so much time getting them groomed and ready for the shows. They agreed, so we all cozied down in the warm and dry motorhome, kept the Lhasas dry and cozy too, and hoped for clearer skies on Saturday.

On Saturday and Sunday, my 9 month old Rusty won a major each day. We did have a photo taken of one of the wins. I'll post it when it gets here. 10-month-old Emmy took Reserve on Saturday and Sunday, but on Monday my prayers were answered and she won the points. That was all she needed to earn her championship.

The downside of course is that now she no longer needs to go to shows and she's going to be upset when I take Rusty and leave her at home. She likes to show except she doesn't like the table exam. (Her opinion is that being touched by strangers is not appropriate for princesses!)

We did not get a show photo that day. We'll just take one at home. My husband is a good photographer and I appreciate not having to pay the official show photographer between $30 and $50 for their photos.

If you are wondering why I am not posting photos of our puppies, it is because it's Lynn's turn to take a vacation, and he is out of state visiting relatives, so there has not been a photographer here. We'll get some photos to post next time I write.


Notes and Photos From Others
You all know by now how much I enjoy and appreciate when our puppy buyers send us notes and photos of their Joyslyn dogs. I like to share them with my readers, and many of you have emailed me to let me know that you enjoy reading them and seeing the photos.

Shelly posted this photo of Tucker on Facebook and commented, "Tuckerman waiting on IDA…his first Hurricane…he’s a Cajun dog now!!!"



Betsy posted on Facebook: "One year ago today we drove to Illinois to pick up our baby girl, Willow!! She fit right into out family and we love her so much! So glad we were able to find you, Joyce! Willow says hello and wants you to see a few pictures."


Jim wrote, "Daisy is surviving the stormy season in Florida with her new favorite toy, a big bird."




Melanie wrote, "Hi Joyce, Here are a couple of new pictures of Harper. She is getting cuter by the day. She loves to play in the yard. She will run around the yard then jump up on the patio and hide by the grill. Then when I call her she will run to the corner of the patio and jump off and run around in a circle. It’s a great game! When we come inside it’s time for a nap on the couch."




Shannon wrote, "Hi Joyce!  Minnie says hello and sends her love! As you can see, she loves napping! She is such a love bug and cuddles with mommy any chance she gets! 💗 "



Kathy wrote, "Hi, Joyce! It’s been a long time since I touched base!  I was sorry to hear about the loss of your Connor.  I know that he was very special to you. He lived a blessed and long life, thanks to you. On a more positive note, congratulations on your final retirement and your 70th birthday! (That one was a bit of a “yikes” moment when I celebrated mine, but much appreciated!) ... Sophie is rapidly coming up on six now. She is a great little dog, and she gives us joy everyday.  

I love reading the stories of the unique Lhasa behaviors in your blogs, so here is an updated picture of Sophie, and an example of one of her comical (and head-scratching) behaviors (I’ve included pictures): Some background first—Sophie no longer sleeps in her crate, but sleeps on the throw on the guest room bed.  Every night, she waits until we go to sleep and our room is dark, then she comes in and strategically places some toys in our room, where we will step on them if we get up in the middle of the night. There is definite thought-involvement and purpose in the placement of the toys.  We are not sure if they are placed there to protect us, or so she can hear that we are up when we step on a squeaker!  The number and placement varies nightly, but they are only placed in “can’t miss” places.  

One toy that HAS to be there every night is the small green tennis ball.  We call it “the protective orb”!  No matter where we move it, or which toy box we put it in, it is in our room every morning when we get up, even if it is the only toy she places that night.  Really, every morning. We would love to get inside that little head for just a few minutes!"


Sophie's strategically placed toys!


With a bit of help from his humans, Eddie wrote, "Dear Grandma. It’s been a while since I have been in touch. I am happy, healthy and loved very much. I am a very good boy and very smart. If I am told to jump up onto the bed or the sofa.. wham! I am there. However, If you want me off the bed or the sofa, I am afraid you’re going to have to lift me gently down to the floor. Sorry, but that’s how I roll. I have an incredible vertical jump and often check out what’s on the kitchen counter or dining room table. I love all wildlife and never bother any of them when I am out and about. I don’t chase or bark at birds, squirrels, other dogs, chipmunks or outdoor cats. (Well, there is this one outdoor cat that insists on smelling my bottom but that’s another story.)
 
One day a big storm came along with loud claps of thunder and bright flashes of lighting! I was very frightened and shook uncontrollably. Daddy was in the basement watching TV so Mommy rushed me down there and Daddy held me for hours while I continued to shake. This happened a couple more times.  Mommy even gave me a little pill to try and help keep me calm but it didn’t help at all. Then one day Mommy, Daddy and I were all together when another big storm came along. It’s crazy, but I was just fine. Turns out the key to keeping me calm was all three of us together while the storm came thru. I guess I must of flipped out worried about whoever I wasn’t with during a thunderstorm. Anyway.. I am fine with storms now that Mommy and Daddy figured it out. 

Well, I’ve got to go now. Mommy is going to bed and I have to get in there and claim my snuggle spot before the cat gets it. Take Care Grandma. Love, Eddie."


Sally sent a photo of Ginger on her birthday: "Happy third birthday to Ginger!!! (Groomer on Friday 😉)
Best of luck in your next show!!!


She also sent another of Ginger and Jaxon. Hmmm...looks like Ginger has decided he's not so bad after all!

Terry wrote, "Rudy is still the perfect gem!   He is so good & he knows best how to get in trouble."

Kris wrote, "Ti is phenomenal. He loves everyone. Our family is completely in love with him." In another message, he updated Grandma's healing process: "Healing fast with Titan’s love and attention. He is smart and kind to her. He pays attention to her every move and he gets concerned about her safety when the physical and occupational therapists are working with her. He doesn’t bark at the therapists but he wants to be on Grandma’s lap just as a precaution." 


Eric wrote about Harley, "She is doing well, she is still rather skittish of other people but has really bonded with us. She is even playful with my neighbors dog. Having the comfort of having a fence in between them helps. She does not care for fireworks at all she was literally hiding under my daughters bed and shivering on several summer holidays."

Next Up

Rusty and I have a small show in early October and then Lynn and I will have a busy weekend when people come to pick up their puppies. Following that we will be heading for the American Lhasa Apso Club's National Specialty in MA.

As you can see from the agenda below, the week will be packed with shows and other events. On Thursday, Jan Graunke and I will be presenting a judges' education seminar and hands-on workshop. The "teacher in me" loves the opportunities I have to share my knowledge about the Lhasa Apso with prospective Lhasa judges (and others too!)



What is the Difference Between a Show Puppy and a Pet Puppy?

When people call me to ask questions about the Lhasa Apso or to inquire about puppies Joyslyn's might have for sale, I am often asked to explain the difference between "show" and "pet" quality puppies. I find the difference often hard to explain without leaving the impression that "show" means "good" and "pet" means "bad." I have many times heard breeders (myself included) refer to a puppy in a litter as "just a pet", inferring that there's something wrong with him. What qualities are necessary for a puppy to be labeled a "show quality puppy?" And what lack of qualities cause a puppy to be "just a pet?" Read More!

Just remember: Each Lhasa was born to love and be loved, and whether that Lhasa is a family pet or top dog in the country, he deserves to be "Best of Breed" in the hearts of his owners.

That's It for Now! 
Thanks for visiting the blog, for reading this post, and for checking out the links!

Joyce




1 comment: