Thursday, September 30, 2021

Welcome October!

 

"Listen! The wind is rising, and the air is wild with leaves, we have had our summer evenings, now for October eves." ~ Humbert Wolfe


I write this as a way to put off grooming and bathing Rusty to prepare for a show this weekend. I know I have all day tomorrow to get it done and feel a bit guilty for not posting sooner.

Speaking of Rusty. Here is the latest photo of him, taken at the Amana, IA show after he won the first of his two majors that weekend.


There is a lot to share in this post. Just thought you should know...

In mid-September I told you all about my upcoming trip to Florida to visit our daughter and her family. The trip was actually a birthday present for Mom's 89th birthday. She had not seen her great grandson, now ages 4 and 7 since they were 6 months and 3 years old.

The flights, airport layovers, and a couple instances of a wheelchair not being available aside, we had a wonderful time once we arrived. My daughter had planned a few excursions that (of course) included some shopping, making our luggage a bit heavier for the trip home.

We saw the new Marvel hero movie. I am a Marvel fan and so are the grandsons! Great movie!

We visited a winery and a fruit stand (Robert is Here). My mom is a lover of fresh passion fruit, which is not available in Nebraska, so she bought what was left to take home with her.

Row after row of tropical fruit

Aisle after aisle of sauces and jellies

We fast forwarded a few months to Christmas and visited the Christmas Palace in Haileah Gardens -- all the holiday decor you could dream of and more.



Mom and I at the Christmas Palace

We had brunch at the Tea Garden at the Cauley Square Historic Village, which had delicious menu choices and a decor of gorgeous antique furniture, china, lamps, and jewelry.



We went to the Palmetto Bay Sunday Farmers' Market.



We went fishing in the canal that runs behind my daughter and son-in-law's home. I was the only one who caught anything that day. I had not been fishing as a teen or adult, so notice that I was given my 4-year old grandson's fishing pole! How exciting to have tugs on the line. I reeled in a long one!
Here I am, holding my prize "fish." LOL


It was great to be together again since we live so far apart (FL, NE, IL). Mom really enjoyed her birthday trip.
Here are the 3 generations, wearing our matching pajamas!



The Most Recent Puppy Pictures

The Onyx and Misti litters will soon be ready to leave us for their new homes. Here are their latest photos.

Milo

Pearl

Josie

Nora

Bernie

Chrissy

Evie

Food for Thought! Plan Ahead!

Those of you who have been or who currently are on my waiting list for a puppy answered the following question on the questionnaire I sent you:

"What plans do you have for your Lhasa in case of emergency (e.g., you get a debilitating illness, are hospitalized, die)? In other words, what would happen to the dog if you or a spouse were unable to care for him/her?"

It is something to think about, no matter how old or young you are. Accidents happen, illness (e.g. COVID19) happens, unexpected death happens. Your beloved dog could outlive you. What happens to that dog you love if for reason of accident, illness, or death you cannot care for him/her? Do you have a will that includes who takes care of your dog? Do you automatically assume one of your kids or other friend or relative will take your dog and love it? Have you asked that person? Do you have an agreement in writing? Have you set aside some funds for your dog's care? 

This leads me to a situation, a death, that recently happened. The person who passed away left her Lhasas, and her daughter asked another Lhasa person to care for them and find them homes. I told her I would try to help by letting my blog readers know about the situation. 

She is trying to find homes for three females and one male Lhasa. If you are at all interested in helping by taking one of these dogs into your home and heart, please email


Something that Might Be Fun!

I thought this was interesting when I ran across it on Amazon. I think Lhasas are smart enough to learn to communicate this way!



Photos, Messages, and Email From Others

From Judy L: "Raven's color on her body had been growing in darker for several years. In 2017 her body was silver. Now it is silver and black, with more black coming in all the time. Strange."



Judy L also wrote about Gus. "Yesterday Gusto Spitz had his very first Walmart experience. He was very well behaved and made some new human friends. Everyone loves Gus. What's not to love? Gus has a fabulous Lhasa Apso head and face, and he actually looks like a Lhasa not a ST. Plus he is sturdy, beautifully colored/marked, and allows people who approach him to pet him. They always ask first, which is surprising. There is something about Gus that attracts people to him. I am also biased!!!



She also posted this on my FB page. Thanks, Judy!



Chuck sent this video of Cooper and wrote, "My welcome home after being gone a week. Thanks.  I love him so much."


Kassia wrote about LeeLu, "Our Girl..looking so grown up!"


Shelly posted on FB: "Tucker is exhausted from bossing around a bunch of Golden Doodles and Retrievers today at the Doggie Del Sol.  He gets to run free there but is adamant that he is placed with the big dogs😂😂😂hopefully his last short cut for a while! My sweet bubba!"


Kris wrote, "
There’s no vaccine for this love bug we’ve caught over here. In case you haven’t noticed we cannot stop squeezing him."


Judy B. wrote, "Hi Joyce & Lynn, I haven't given you an update on Zoie lately. It's been a busy summer and now we're starting to put things away for winter. It seems too early, but the trees are really turning fast. Zoie is quite the girl!  She loves to sit under the gazebo. She is so smart! Too smart sometimes! When she thinks that she isn't getting the attention that she deserves, she starts scratching on the carpet. She does get our attention! Our other two Lhasa's were good watchdogs, but nothing or nobody comes in our yard without Zoie letting us know.  We are slowly socializing Zoie. We have found that if we meet someone new outside first and then come into the house she is fine.  She and her daddy go for a walk every day. She has a lot of energy! We do love her and we don't know what we would do without her. Thank-you. We have had to see the vet lately.  She has been vomiting bile and the vet thinks that she is not tolerating her food.  We are slowly changing her food.  I hope that will do the job.  I've read your blog, so I know that you've been very busy.  I love seeing pictures of the puppies.  So cute!"

Note from me: I wrote Judy to let her know that a Lhasa vomiting bile is often the result of an empty tummy. I find that if I give my Lhasas a biscuit before bedtime, no one vomits bile! She does not need change her food! Oh the things vets do not know about our breed!

From Julie about Jenna (now Linda): "Hello Joyce, I’ve been meaning to write you and let you know how things are going. I did rename Jenna to Linda. She learned her new name very quickly. It's a strange name maybe but it’s how I know her.

Linda is doing so well. I feel so lucky I got her and I think she is lucky to have me. My mom loves her too and often babysits her when I’m at work. She doesn’t play with toys but loves walks and loves to run excitedly around the house. I give her smoked bones sometimes but she hides them more than she eats them. She likes to check on them periodically.

Linda is such a well behaved dog. I describe her as a “lady” because she is polite and never offensive. I definitely recognize the “lhasatude”. She holds her head up very high. She walks past other dogs like royalty and never barks at them. I can tell she’s annoyed with me when I’ve worked a few days in a row (she won’t sleep as close to me). She doesn’t do anything she doesn’t want and lets me know by staring at me like I’m ridiculous. She’s also a great guard dog will watch a door for a few minutes before settling down. 

I was initially hesitant about getting an older dog but the match could not have been more perfect. I know it must be hard for you to say goodbye to dogs and I want you to know Linda is living a good life."




Although it is difficult for me to imagine the beloved Jenna as a Linda, I am so happy that this placement has worked out. Jenna always wanted to be a "Queen" around here. Now she does not have to share her realm with any other dog. She must be thrilled!

This morning was  bittersweet because Onyx left for her new home where she will be with other Lhasas, two of them Joyslyn's Lhasas (Ty and Izzy). Her new owner, Judy G, plans to train her for agility and rally. It was hard to see her leave but I had geared myself up for it because I had promised Judy a while back that she could have Onyx when the time came.

Onyx - early in her show career

Never be afraid to adopt an adult Lhasa! Most breeders will have "young retirees" around 4-6 years old, and given the length of time a Lhasa lives, that leaves plenty of years of Lhasa love.

One Last Thing...

I want to share the following with you because it is important that this bill be passed. Dogs coming into this country without health checks are bringing diseases that impact our American dogs. (Remember the terrible dog flu a few years ago?) Many other countries require appropriate health checks and paperwork. It is past time the US does so too.

From AKC: "According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), up to 1.25 million dogs are imported into the U.S. annually. Many of these dogs are coming in without valid health certificates –and many of them are carrying contagious zoonotic diseases. Exponential growth in dog imports from a wide range of overseas sources has resulted in recent incidents of dogs with non-native parasites and zoonotic diseases such as rabies, viral infections, canine influenza, brucellosis and others, being imported and passed onto the general public. Current pet import oversight mechanisms established prior to the exponential growth of imports are unable to protect against this public and animal health threat.
The Healthy Dog Importation Act would address these significant concerns by providing additional tools to the U.S. Department of Agriculture to prevent the import of unhealthy animals, while continuing to allow imports of healthy dogs.
Key provisions of the measure:
•Provide authority to the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture to determine which vaccinations and other health information is required for entry of dogs into the U.S. This authority will be carried out by USDA’s Veterinary Services (VS) division.
•Require every dog entering the U.S. to be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection (health certificate), issued by a licensed veterinarian accredited by a competent veterinary authority recognized by the Secretary. The health certificate must certify that the dog has received all required vaccinations and demonstrated negative test results.
•Require submission of health certificates to USDA, which will maintain a centralized, publicly available data base. Required documentation may be submitted electronically. All submitted information will be made available to the secretaries of Health and Human Services (CDC), Commerce, and Homeland Security (CBP) to promote interagency coordination and facilitate verification upon arrival in the U.S. Required documentation may be submitted electronically
•Require permanent identification of all dogs imported.
•Allow the Secretary of Agriculture to set fees for the issuance of importation permits to help offset costs for increased monitoring and oversight.

What You Can Do:
AKC strongly encourages all dog owners individually, as well as clubs, to contact their member of Congress and Senators and ask them to support the Healthy Dog Importation Act.  Let them know this is a bipartisan, common sense solution to address a significant public health threat for both pets and the people who care for them.
For additional talking points and information, review the following:
One-page fact sheet
Article: Ban on Dogs a Wake-Up Call About Importation Health Crisis
AKC GR’s Key Issues page on Pet Imports: Protecting Pet and Public Health ( www.akcgr.org/pet-import).
Use the form provided to directly contact your Member of Congress, or visit the AKC Legislative Action Center (www.akcgr.org) and type your zip code in the “Find Officials” box to get your member of Congress and Senators names and contact information.  
AKC Government Relations will continue to provide updates as they are available.  For questions or more information, contact AKC GR at doglaw@akc.org.
We thank YOU for helping to make a difference for the future of our breeds, and the health of all dogs.  
Message your Rep now!"

That's All Folks! Thanks for reading!
Joyce











No comments:

Post a Comment