Thursday, February 2, 2012

Good-Bye To a Friend


"While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil."
~ John Taylor

This week I learned of the death of a friend, Rex Irwin, who passed away on January 8 when a blood clot reached his heart. News of his death shocked many of us "old time" Lhasa breeders and exhibitors, as well as others involved in the sport of showing dogs. He had many friends in all breeds, and strangers he met did not stay strangers long.

Those who called Rex "friend" were saddened when life circumstances took a downward turn for him about 10 years ago and he had to stop showing dogs. We missed seeing him at the shows. We missed his kindness, his good humor, his cheerful smiles, his jokes, his helpful suggestions. There was no such thing as a dull moment when Rex was around. Notes on his Facebook page from friends speak of how he was a teacher and mentor, how he was so willing to help others, how he enjoyed people, how he had a great way with dogs, and how much he loved his Lhasas and enjoyed showing them.

Many of us also recall enjoying his famous Margarita recipe! His mixes were quite popular at our national specialties!

I have many favorite memories of time spent with Rex, but one of the first that came to mind was a phone call I received from him (Rex loved to talk on the phone and could talk for hours) to tell me that his beloved Scarlett had just taken a Best In Show. He was so thrilled and so proud – and rightly so – and he told such a funny story about his reaction to the judge pointing at him (evidently a sort of "who me?") and the judges' reaction to his reaction. As usual, when Rex was in the room, he had someone laughing.

Rex handled two dogs for me. He finished Lily (Ch. Joyslyn's My One N Only) and put all but the majors on Hannah (Ch. Joyslyn Jofu Ladell Handiwork). I've posted photos of him and the girls below.

Rex loved his dogs, his friends, and his family. He will be greatly missed by those who valued his love and friendship. I can't help but think that heaven is a happier place now that Rex is there.


Joyce

Below: Rex and judge R. Stephen Shaw with Hannah (Ch. Joyslyn Jofu Ladell Handiwork)












Below: Rex and judge Lorraine Boutwell with  Lily (Ch. Joyslyn's My One N Only)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this to honor my Uncle. We all love him and miss him. He was indeed one of a kind.~Rebecca Irwin Horn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, It was my pleasure to write about some of my memories of Rex to share with those who read this blog. He was a great, fun-loving person. I am glad to have known him and called him my friend. Joyce

    ReplyDelete