Thursday, February 24, 2011

News and "Stuff"


Where has the week gone – or the month for that matter? So much has happened! We had the big snowstorm on February 1st that closed campus for two days and kept most of us house-bound at least a day while the wind howled and the snow blew into big drifts. From the sound of the forecast another storm to rival the first is on its way tonight. What a way to end the month. 

We've watched as Egyptians protested successfully, then as people in Libya rose up against their dictator, then as the folks from Wisconsin peacefully protested plans from a governor who sounds like he wants to be a dictator. I'm just sayin'....

And  those darn gas prices keep going up and up! Darn it!

I attended my first 2-day all breed agility trial (see the February 16th post). Ty and Jet left for new homes. At work I've been focused on writing a grant proposal that has a budget of $978,500. That's been a little stressful—making sure all the i's are dotted and all the t's are crossed—and all the paperwork is signed and dated correctly! It's all done but the photocopying and mailing, both jobs for Monday. I even gave a short presentation to members of Macomb's Rotary Club about the work of the Center for Best Practices in Early Childhood, where I work. Then Sunday I was up all night nervously awaiting Secret's new arrivals.

Secret and her puppies, one day old.
Secret had her first puppy, a girl, at 6:30 Sunday evening. Two hours later, she had the second girl. Two hours later, the third. Two hours later…(are you getting the picture here?) To make a long story shorter, by 2:30 AM we had six puppies: five girls and a boy. Everyone was nursing well. Lynn and I were exhausted and once we were sure Secret and the babies were doing fine, we went to bed. When the alarm went off at 5:20 as it usually does, I shut it off and rolled back over. Needless to say, when we finally woke up, got the dogs fed and pottied, and ourselves showed and dressed, we were both late for work by about an hour. Oh well. That's what vacation time is for!

Tuesday night was the first confirmation training class of this year. Unfortunately, we have to drive about an hour and 45 minutes each way to participate. Nonetheless, Breaker, Maggie, and I took off for Peoria by way of Cuba where we met Jane and two of her Shibas for the remainder of the trip. We went to Breaker's first class since he finished in 2009 and the first class of Maggie's life. Breaker was a goof, but then he always is. He was excited to be at class and had problems settling down, but basically I was pleased that he remembered what showing was all about. He was happy to have a lead around his neck and to be running around the "ring." I was proud of Maggie too. She sat in her crate for about 45 minutes to get used to sights, sounds, and smells while I worked Breaker. Then I took her out, let her walk around with a lead on, let her meet people and their dogs, and put her up on the table a couple of times so the trainer could go over her. She did just fine! Next week I think I'll take Walker and Whisper or Raven so everyone eventually will have a turn. Just to keep myself humble I may also take Belle again one of these days. She'll put me in my place!


Secret's puppies, 4 days old.
When I returned Tuesday night from class, I noticed one of the puppies was not doing well. She was lying apart from the others and her little body was cold. I stayed up quite late trying to get her warmed up and fed but to no avail. It is so hard to lose a puppy. All I can tell myself is that nature must know what she is doing and that it is better to lose one at two days old than it is to lose one that is 7 weeks old. Those of you who have been following this blog for a while may recall the heartache of losing Cutie. I hand fed her until she was able to lap milk on her own and then eat softened dog food. We lost her anyway when she was almost 8 weeks old, and believe me,  that was much harder than losing her at 2 days old would have been.

Anyway, that basically sums up my February activities. I am taking a vacation day tomorrow unless the snow is so deep that WIU cancels classes and closes offices again! Either way, I'll still be home and relaxing! 

I hope to get Maggie, Raven, and Whisper bathed tomorrow (some vacation, right?) so we can get pictures taken of them again. Their coats are growing and all three girls are beautiful, so I want you to see them.

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your puppies! (and sorry for the loss)Hope the snow wasn't bad for you. Here in Chicago we didn't get much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got very little snow here. There were lots of dire predictions and people freaking out about what might happen with snow, but it was nice to wake up this AM and see such a small amount. The sun has been out so most has melted. Whew!

    ReplyDelete