Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!


"Be thankful for what you have. Your life, no matter how bad you think it is, is someone else's fairy tale." ~ Wale Ayeni








 

 

A Reader Offers Helpful Resources

Last week a reader posted a comment regarding his Lhasa's tendency to bite. Another reader sent me an email with the following advice:
" Hi Joyce:  Happened to read your blog and the comment after last post. I had a Lhasa with those issues. He was a proud, but shy and then fearful biter at times. Anyway, I suggest the books below if you don’t know of them. ONLY positive reward training. I think the idea now is not to be dominant over the dog pack but have an understanding working relationship. There’s some articles out there about “Nothing in life is free." I used that with him a bit.  Also, my trainer, positive reward, said to start out, every piece of food comes from your hand, no dishes, for about 3 months. With Taz, I had to be careful he didn’t grab bite. I used an open hand.  I think that’s in Ruff Love book also. Books that helped me, below.
On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals Paperback by Turid Rugaas
The Other End of the Leash by P. McConnell
Ruff Love by S. Garrett"


Notes from Friends and a Photo

This week I heard from two people who have puppies from last year's Windy and Duncan litter.

Vivian wrote, "Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and furry friends.  I want to tell you again how wonderful LilLea is.  We just love her to pieces.  I don't know how I lived without her in my life.  She is extremely special and she goes everywhere with us…I know that if you showed LilLea she would win everything, she is just that beautiful.  Her stance is very regal - a really nice Lhasa.  And she is very smart."

Deborah wrote,  "Mysti is always entertaining us.  She jumps straight up like Tigger and I saw her jumping up and trying to turn the door knob with her mouth.  I have been in the kitchen feeling some one behind me and she has jumped high enough that her head is right next to my shoulder.  Jumping counter high is no problem for her but fortunately she is not airborne long or she could get into some real mischief.  She must have some powerful hind legs! Your puppies are just beautiful, no matter what color.  Mysti has been heathy and coming to us already piddle pad trained has been wonderful.  She is our little princess." 



Joe sent a picture of Kimmi's sister, Abby. She is adorable!! You can tell from her expression that she must be a "real character." (The word "ornery" also comes to mind!)

Thanks Joe, Deborah, and Vivian for staying in touch!

Puppy Pictures - Age Four Weeks

We took some photos of the puppies this morning. So far, they have been very cooperative about the photo sessions. Experience tells me that that will soon change and the wiggling will begin. You might notice that a couple of them were obviously awakened from a nice nap.


Male

Male
Female
Female
They still sleep a lot and are very content and quiet. I am enjoying that while I can! They have started to explore and play with toys and each other.

A Thanksgiving Wish for You:

I hope you enjoy this special day with people (and dogs!) you love.

Life is Better When You Have a Lhasa to Love You!


Joyce



1 comment:

  1. I loved hearing about Windy's pups. A note to the owner of the pup that jumps.....sounds just like her Grandma! Lindy can jump and leave muddy paw prints on the patio door and I have to look twice to make sure I'm really seeing them that far off the ground!

    ReplyDelete