Friday, June 5, 2020

June Is Bustin' Out All Over!





"It was June, and the world smelled of roses. The sunshine was like powdered gold over the grassy hillside."  
~ Maud Hart Lovelace, Betsy-Tacy and Tibb 


Well, we've made it through another month without haircuts. That is something to celebrate, I guess. Actually, with businesses opening up this month, if you really need a reason to celebrate, just google "Wacky June holidays," and you will get a long list. Here are a few I found: 
4th - Hug Your Cat Day (missed that one!)
9th - Donald Duck Day
18th - Go Fishing Day
23rd - National Pink Day
26th - Forgiveness Day (We definitely need to celebrate this one)

As I write this, June 6th is tomorrow and, of course, that is a day of celebration in honor of the 76th anniversary of D-Day and the Americans who fought under such terrible circumstances. 

An excerpt from "Normandy" by Cyril Crain

"...The battle raged in Normandy, many lives were lost.
The war must end in victory and this must be the cost.
When my life is over, and I reach the other side,
I'll meet my friends from Normandy and shake their hands with pride."

Upcoming we have Flag Day on the 14th and


Juneteenth on the 19th. The word is a combination of June and the June day (19th) in 1865 that Texas governor read the Emancipation Proclamation (2 years after it was written!) to the state's African-American slaves. It is also known as Freedom Day.


And, of course, we remember our dads on June 21st.

We have been quietly celebrating the publication of my husband's first novel. It's been getting great reviews, so if you like a good mystery novel, you should definitely get a copy. All the book signings had to be canceled because of the Covid19 virus and that was disappointing. Look for Rose's Thorn by Lynn-Steven Johanson. Those of you who have already read it and said you hope there is another with the same main character will be pleased to know Lynn has written the first draft of the next book and is currently revising it before it goes to the publisher for more editing. 

Two days ago I quietly celebrated the completion of a task for the American Lhasa Apso Club that I had been putting off. I actually found out, once I got started, that it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I mentally patted myself on the back and ate some ice cream. 

We'll soon be celebrating new puppies. They are due this weekend. People at the top of our waiting list will be happy too!

The current litter of puppies will soon be leaving and I hope their pick-up day is a day of celebration for the new owners. I am keeping one of them - the male that was given the temporary name Noah. I decided I could not call him Noah, although I thought naming him Joyslyn's Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head would be fun! However, the name Noah begins with the syllable "no" and it occurred to me that every time I said "no" to any of the other dogs, the poor boy would think I was chastising him! So, we are still working on both a call name and registered name for him.

Here are the puppies' photos at age 9 weeks. From top to bottom: Gabe, Hazel, Liam, Noah, and Minnie. 








We took photos of Millie also. She is now 14 months old. She is very pretty and I love her happy, playful attitude. She looks so dignified in these photos. Don't let that fool you! She is a character!




Chuck and Steve sent this photo of their Lhasa Cooper, who is a Rafe (GCH CH Joyslyn's Inherit the Wind) son. He's a handsome boy! 

Jan sent photos of Pebbles Grace, a litter sister of Millie's. As puppies, they were hard for me to tell apart. We called them the twins and I had to mark them to be able to tell who was who.





Denise sent this photo of Colonel. What a cutie!



Finally, it is my hope that we all find many things, large and small, to celebrate not only in June but throughout our lives. The first months of 2020 have not been good ones for so many people as the virus, the killings and resulting protests, and the small and large trials of daily life lately have turned our lives upside down, making us question "why" day after day. 

May you find something good in every day and may you always be thankful for your Lhasa Apso and the love and devotion he/she gives you. A Lhasa kiss makes things so much better!

Joyce















No comments:

Post a Comment