Thursday, August 18, 2016

Mid-August Musings -- And Some Puppy Pictures!



Here is a card I received in honor of my August birthday! It was so flattering that I nearly forgot how old I was.

I've always been proud to be a Leo!

Here's what Lewis Carroll wrote about birthdays: "There are three hundred and sixty-four days when you might get un-birthday presents ... and only one for birthday presents, you know."

The government presented me with a Medicare card in honor of this birthday.

I celebrated my birthday this year in Florida with my daughter, son-in-law, and grandson. We don't get to see each other often because of the distance between Florida and Illinois, so it was nice to be together again. Of course, every grandma is eager to get to see her grandchildren.

I returned home the day after my birthday, and we celebrated my special day by going out to dinner because there was no way I was going to cook after sitting in airports and on airplanes from 9:30 in the morning until 4:00 in the afternoon, then driving another hour and a half to get home. It was especially nice because friends we had not seen in ages were having dinner at the same restaurant so we were able to spend time with them and catch up on each other's lives and kids.

Birthday cake in Florida

One very fitting present -- a T-shirt!
 My son-in-law, an avid Lego fan, found these dog show Legos for me! Here is my attempt at setting up the judge, the handler, the dog, and the trophies as if for a dog show photo.

And here is an actual dog show photo of Greta (Joyslyn's No Regrets) after she won her first major at the Burlington Kennel Club show in July. I really hate the background, and I also wonder what or who the judge was glaring at, but Greta looks great!

Disappointing News

I hate to report this as much as I hated hearing it, but Windy is not going to have puppies. I took her to the vet for an x-ray on Wednesday afternoon, thinking the x-ray would show four puppies. No such luck. She certainly is hefty enough to be carrying puppies! As of today, she began her diet!

I know that many of you who were farther down on our waiting list were expecting to get a puppy from Windy's litter. I am sorry that that is not going to happen. Our next litter is not planned until early 2017.

Puppy Pictures

The puppies we do have are adorable. Eyes are open, they are moving around a lot and making attempts to play with each other. One little guy's favorite sleeping position is on his back. Maggie's puppies are three weeks two days old. Luna's will be three weeks old tomorrow.

Here are the photos we took this afternoon:

Duncan and Maggie Puppies
Two of the three Duncan and Maggie girls. They are hard to tell apart without looking closely at their faces.

Duncan and Maggie's boys

Duncan and Maggie's  third girl
Josh and Luna Puppies

Male

Male

Black, tan, and white female
 Although I do not yet have deposits on any of these puppies, to my knowledge, all have been spoken for.

Notes and Pictures from Others

Joe sent this photo of Abby and wrote, "After wearing 4 groomers out! Yes 4!"
Abby                                                                                                                             




















Angela wrote, "Hi there!  Wanted to send an update on the girls as it has been a while.  Loki is doing well.  She is turning into quite the crab and complains loudly when she is made to go outside, get off my lap, or basically do anything she doesn't want to.  My daughter had to move home and she brought two dogs with her for a grand total of five dogs, of which Loki is slowest.  This does not make her happy.  When returning to the house from the back yard she grumbles all the way up the stairs because she is last.  Loki has also formed an alliance with one of my daughter's dogs and they caught a full size rabbit between the two of them and Loki caught a bunny on her own.  I read in your blog that another of your offspring killed a rabbit as well so I am convinced you are unwittingly breeding hunting dogs. Kila is hanging in there.  She continues to be happy 100% of the time and doesn't do anything unless Loki tells her to.  She has had some back pain that was successfully managed with medication and her hind legs no longer bend at all but she is able to get around fine and is still faster than Loki.  We are paying close attention to her weight as the vet has advised me that being overweight will dramatically speed up the destruction of her joints.  We also discourage jumping, stairs, and running on hard surfaces, again as per the vet recommendations.  So far it is working, she is happy and active so that is all that matters."



Kathy wrote about Sophie: "I can’t believe that time has gone so quickly and that Sophie is nine months old now!  She has been such a delight, and gives us something to smile (or fuss) about every day. LOL  I keep her busy with new things—she has been to two training classes, traveled to the beach, has stayed with a pet sitter with other dogs for several days, gets lots of rides with me, and gets a lot of visits with other dogs and people.  (She immediately likes the other dogs, but takes a while with the people.)  I think she would enjoy both agility and/or nose work, but I am the one who is too old and cranky for that!  LOL  Last weekend we took her for a ride to Pere Marquette State Park and as we were sitting on the terrace enjoying a cup of coffee, we started talking to a family with a little boy around 6 or 7 years old.  Sophie made up to him, and he asked me if she could do any “tricks”.  I just happened to have a bag of treats (imagine that!), so I showed him some of her obedience commands, and then her “Give me brown paw” and Give me white paw” commands.  He offered us $8,000.00 for her.  LOL  Mike said, “You’re getting close!”
Sophie

Another Important August Birthday

 On August 22nd, our Ch. Joyslyn's Secrets of the Heart will be 14 years old. Secret is going strong and acts and looks much younger than her actual years. In honor of her 14th, I am sharing two photos. The first was taken the day she won her first points, which happened to be a major, from the puppy class. The second photo is of her winning Reserve Winners Bitch at the American Lhasa Apso Club's Regional Specialty in 2003.





Secret is the dam of our GCh. Joyslyn's Heartbreaker (Breaker), the granddam of GCh. Joyslyn MLS Dakota Wind Breaker (Josh), and the granddam of Joyslyn MLS Dakota Je Na Sais Quoi (Jenna). She is a little girl - about 11.5 pounds. Her favorite past-time was and still remains killing squeakers and ripping stuffing out of toys.


Life is Better When You Have a Lhasa to Love You!

Joyce

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment