Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday Musings

Happy Monday! 

For being a Monday, my day is going well. I hope yours is too!

As you may have imagined from my lack of recent postings, things have been dull around the Johanson residence – at least nothing has happened that I think would be of interest to readers of this blog. I apologize for not taking or posting puppy pictures lately. The "kids" are growing up and getting pretty (or handsome in the case of Rafe and Gabe.) Their coats are longer now and they have more hair falling over their faces.

Zora (formerly Gracie)
Here are some updates on the three who have gone to new homes. Zora's owner writes, " She went to the vet this week and has now doubled in size since we got her!  I can't believe how much she has grown.  She still has some of the puppy fat - this dog does not miss a meal. Our vet always goes on and on about the great condition of both of the dogs.  You would be very proud to listen to him talk about their structure, temperament, etc.  He is also impressed with Zeus's calm steady heartbeat.  Nothing gets him rattled.  Zora also put on a strong acting performance by pretending to be very quiet and sweet.  Spunky and outspoken is her usual mode. Her hair is getting longer so she is showing more red highlights."

I received a cute photo (see below) titled "Poor Little Griffin" and thought I'd share it and so it would bring a smile to your face as it did to mine. I've designated this boy as "Griffin 2" since he used to be "Sebastian" and has a brother named "Griffin" ("Griffin 1") whose new owners are keeping the name "Griffin" for him. Yes, we all agree that it gets confusing, but we all like the name "Griffin!" The numeral designation helps me communicate with my husband about the puppies, or he'd never know which one I was talking about.

Too bad this baby has no toys!
Griffin 1 left here on Friday when his new family returned from their trip to California. I had a report saying he was an angel on the 4 hour drive to his new home and that, once there, he captured the hearts of all who met him. 

The last time I wrote, I was getting ready to take Maggie to the show in Gray Summit. She showed well and received nice comments on movement but took Reserve both days. Maggie will have to start going to training class again because she is not happy about letting the judge examine her teeth. I'll be taking her and one of the puppies, probably Olivia, to class tomorrow.

The exciting news in Lhasadom happened at the Crufts dog show where the Best in Show was awarded to a  7-year old Lhasa, Ch. Zentarr Elizabeth, who was shown by her owner, Margaret Anderson, from Coventry.  What a gorgeous Lhasa! And what a fantastic win! I was amazed when I read that Elizabeth won the Breed over 165 other Lhasa entries. Compare that with the handful of Lhasa entries at the Westminister show in February. I wish the breed were more popular in the U.S. Many of us "old timers" in this area stand at ringside nowadays and reminisce about the times when there were 30 and more Lhasas at the shows where now we are lucky to have three or four of the same sex entered.
Getty Image

Here's a picture of Elizabeth and Ms. Anderson, taken just as the judge announced the Lhasa was the winner. Congratulations to both! YouTube has video of the judging. Just search for "Crufts Best in Show 2012."

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce

2 comments:

  1. That is so exciting that a Llasa took BIS at Crufts! What an honor. I have always loved Llasas and so I am very happy to hear this! Also, I love your puppy pics, they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment about the puppies. I think they are adorable too! :-)
    I agree that a Lhasa winning taking BIS at Crufts is exciting! And she is such a lovely Lhasa too. Her outline is beautiful and the video I watched of her on YouTube showed such nice movement. I'm sure her owner is very proud and happy - and rightly so. What a lovely thing to have happen!

    ReplyDelete