Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Back from the Show

It is always wise to stop wishing for things long enough to enjoy the fragrance of those now flowering.
~Patrice Gifford

The quotation is a good reminder to me to be patient. I really really am wishing for warm weather, for no more snow, for Spring to come. It'll happen, sooner rather than later I hope!

While I enjoy looking out the window after a snow and seeing lovely snow-laden branches, I'm sick of winter and tired being cold, bundling up to go outside, scraping ice off windows, and scooping snow off the porch and driveway. The Lhasas, on the other hand, think snow is just great! Silly things.

Thanks to those of you who sent positive thoughts about Belle walking in the ring. She did okay. She was hesitant and stopped rather abruptly a few times but it was usually easy to get her going. She likes liver bait so that worked as an inticement. She doesn't like to be rushed and that is difficult in the show ring. There just isn't time for her to stop and think if she wants to go or not. My rule is, when mom says "Let's go" you need to move! She wasn't too sure she wanted to buy into that! She took second out of a class of three both days. I got a little excited on Sunday when the judge told me to take her to the front of the line. But she balked on the last go around and we were moved to second place. She got lots of oohs and aahs and "oh how cute" comments.

One great thing about the show was seeing my good friend Marsha who drove down to Des Moines to show her Lhasa. Since Illinois and North Dakota are not exactly neighboring states, we seldom get to see each other, so we had a nice visit, and made plans to meet again at an Iowa show in April.

Walker lost both days. Saturday just as I was ready to put him on the examination table he got the snorts (aka "reverse sneezes"). Although I got him calmed down and the snorting stopped, he was not quite recovered for the exam and the down and back. On Sunday I took him out of his crate to groom him only to discover he had thrown up. Oh yuck…all over his feet, his face, his ears, his chest. I have no idea why because we'd been at the show at least an hour and he'd been out of the crate once to use the ex-pen and was excited and happy. So, Kenic rinse-less shampoo came to the rescue. I washed and dried him and he looked fine. I waited to see how he felt because I did not want to show him if he was feeling poorly. (However, after the extra effort of washing and drying him, I thought I should at least show off my grooming skills!) I'd actually gone to the show that morning thinking I would pull his entry because a snow storm was forecast and, while I enjoy showing him and hoping to win Breed and show in the Group, I thought it would be good to get out of Des Moines early. Evidently the judge thought we should be on our way early too! LOL!

We had clear weather and dry roads to Iowa City and about 20 miles south of Iowa City. Then we ran into the storm. Let's just say we had a harrowing drive, arriving home two hours later than the trip usually takes. Roads were snow packed and white lines barely visible. An average pace of 30 mph felt safe. My friend who was driving did a great job getting us home in one piece, in spite of the fact that there were lunatics on the road zooming by us at 50 miles an hour or more, as if the road was dry and visibility was 100%.

I was gone only two days but it seemed as if the puppies grew a whole bunch while I was away. It was great to get home and play with them! Zeke is still waiting for the right home to come along.

Spring is coming, right???

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you.

Joyce

2 comments:

  1. Poor Walker! once in a while Tashi gets the reverse snorts but it is short lived. Congrats on Belle! sounds like she is coming along :)

    Happy March Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is! We have another show this weekend so she'll have another chance to practice. This time she is going with Mira and not Walker. The girls play together all the time and Mira is an old hand at shows so I think Belle will have fun! I hope I do to!

    ReplyDelete