Tuesday, October 20, 2009

There and Back Again!

What a week! On the 11th Marsha Susag (from Fargo) and I drove from Macomb to Carlisle, PA, for the American Lhasa Apso Club's national specialty. Understand that this was not just any old annual specialty; this was ALAC's 50th Anniversary specialty! The week was packed with activities that had each day filled. A wonderful exhibit of the club's history, including many pictures of all of us looking much much younger, was available throughout the week. Meetings, awards presentations, seminars, dinners, to say nothing of 4 specialty shows, a Futurity, a fun match, and performance events (obedience, rally, and agility) all combined to make a fun-filled and busy week. A company videostreamed the Thursday and Friday shows in addition to taping them. DVDs will be available, a nice keepsake of the 50th.

I took Breaker with me and he thoroughly enjoyed being my "only" dog and romping with Marsha's dog in the hotel room. All that extra attention spoiled him quickly. He was shown four times in the 12-18 month class. On Monday he took first place, on Tuesday and Thursday he took second, and on Friday third! I was disappointed that he did not show better than he did. I was not concerned about the placements, but was annoyed because at least one of his seconds and the third place were due to his skittish behavior, especially on the table. And of course, it was all captured on video! I received nice compliments about him, as well as some ribbing about how naughty he was in the ring.

We returned to Macomb late on the 17th after a long day's drive from PA. Except for church, I spent all day Sunday unpacking, doing laundry, and greeting the dogs who had to stay home.

Some kind of bug swept through the dogs while I was gone, so poor Lynn (God bless him) had to deal with vomiting and diarrhea for at least 5 of the 8 days I was away. Everyone is fine, including Lynn, but all that clean up and worry is hard to face alone. Not all women who have show dogs have a husband who is as helpful and supportive as mine is. He helps with everything, from whelping puppies, to daily feeding, cleaning, training, and grooming! I am so thankful!

Life and work are back to normal, if there is such a thing. Belle and I are going to training class tonight. She is my continuing project! I'm beginning to think that not only her attitude on lead but also her small size (less than 9 inches and about 8 lbs.) will be detrimental to her winning a championship. She'll be "on hold" for a while. She is just 9 months old so could easily have a growth spurt. There is plenty of time to make a decision.

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce

1 comment:

  1. My dogs had the flu too. I hope they are all better! Tashi says hi to Belle...


    Sarah

    ReplyDelete