Saturday, July 11, 2009

Getting Ready for Meet the Breeds


This weekend, in addition to preparing for a trip to Miami to visit my daughter, I'm getting Walker (Ch. Joyslyn MiToya Wind Walker) ready for the Meet the Breeds event at the fair in Peoria. I chose to take Walker because (1) he is a beautiful Lhasa; (2) he loves to show and now that he is "retired" he seldom gets to go to a show; (3) I love to show him; and (4) I groom his long, lovely show coat a couple times a week and I want to show it off!

At this particular Meet the Breeds, the dogs will get to go into the ring and walk around it while information about the dog, the owner, and the breed is being read. Walker will enjoy being in the ring again and it will also be a good 'practice' session for a couple shows I plan to take him to in August. As I said, he enjoys the show ring and I enjoy showing him, so each year we go to a show that is nearby and strut our stuff. Sometimes we even place in the Group! Walker is not a good traveler, as far as staying in hotels is concerned. He fusses and whines all night, and unless I stick him in bed with me (which I have been known to do when I get frustrated with his noise), neither of us spends a very restful night. Thus, the area show is "it" for him. We can drive back and forth and be rested for each day.

Walker will be 7 years old at the end of October. He will then officially be a "veteran" and can be entered in the Veteran classes at the dog shows that feature those classes. His coat is easy to maintain so I'll probably keep it long and take him to some of those shows – as long as we don't have a lot of overnight trips!

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you.

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment