Monday, April 8, 2019

April Showers and All That - Catching Up After A Few Weeks!



I know, I know...I usually end the blog with those words; however, it has been a few weeks since I have written and, having received email and photos from so many of our puppy buyers in March and early April, I decided that my "slogan" was a great way to begin this post.

The other important thing I want to say is "Thank You" to the many people who sent email or sympathy cards to offer condolences about our Secret. Those cards, emails, and FB postings meant a great deal to me.

In brief, what has happened since I last posted includes a dog show, new puppies, and lots of photos and messages that I want to share.

Show Results
Autumn and I attended a 4-day show in Manitowoc, WI, at the end of March. We enjoyed the hospitality of friends Jan and Dean Graunke and the companionship of the other Lhasa exhibitors who attended that weekend: Karen Schlais, Sue Stoddard, Michael Papierniak, Lynn Replogle, LaVonne Bennett, and Matt Hoagland, who was showing Melissa Papke's Lhasa. Autumn showed very well for not being at a show since early February. She won the major on both Friday and Saturday, taking Reserve to Melissa's Lhasa on Thursday and Sunday.

Here are photos Karen took of Autumn and her ribbons on Friday.

Autumn now needs only two single points to earn her championship. We don't have any shows in April but May has three weekends of shows that we hope to attend.

Puppies
In early March, I drove to Madison, WI, to evaluate a litter of puppies that were co-bred by LaVonne Bennett and me. Their sire is GCHB CH Joyslyn MLS Dakota Wind Breaker (Josh) and their dam is GCH CH Mon Ami N Joyslyn's Shades of Summer (Misti). The litter (of 8!) was very impressive. I ended up bringing home a female that we call Ella (Ellie, Elle, Ellie-Bellie and (frequently) No-Ella!). (She is very fond of tearing up piddle pads and pulling on Autumn's ears!) She and Autumn became fast friends. Here are some pictures of her at age 9 weeks. Sad to admit it, but we have not take photos since then.



Her coat is already changing color and, as I push her coat the wrong way, I can see a lot of reddish gold color coming in. You can see some of that coloring on her ears.

Of course, I know that many of you reading this blog have been waiting for our first litter of 2019. I want to remind those of you on the waiting list for puppies how things work. You can also find this information on the FAQ page of the Joyslyn's Lhasa Apsos website.

How do you decide which buyer gets which puppy?
The first choice of a puppy always goes to me. People buying show puppies get to choose before people buying pet puppies. Otherwise, when you are put on a waiting list for a male or female, you are given a choice in the order in which you appear on the list and the order in which you send a deposit once I ask for one. (Generally after the puppies are a week or two old and I'm satisfied that all are thriving.) The only exception will be if I think a particular puppy's disposition is not suited for your family. For instance, a very stubborn outgoing puppy does not belong in a home where people want to baby him and are too timid to set boundaries for him. My goal is for both buyers and puppies to have happy lives together!

Explain more about the deposit you mentioned.
I do not take deposits until the puppies are born and I am sure they are thriving. When I am ready to accept deposits, I notify potential buyers by email. A deposit holds a puppy for you and assures you that I will not sell the puppy to another buyer. Deposits must be for at least $100. Fifty dollars of a deposit is non-refundable if you change your mind about getting the puppy. The entire deposit is refundable if a health problem shows up during the puppy's health check. The deposit is subtracted from the total amount due for the puppy. The balance is due on the day you come to get the puppy. 

Having said all that, I am pleased to announce that GCHB CH Joyslyn MLS Dakota Wind Breaker (Josh) and CH Joyslyn's Moonlight Beckons (Bekka) are the proud parents of seven (7) puppies. They were born on March 30. (Yes...while I was at the dog show! My husband had the pleasure of staying up all night to assist with the delivery.) They were  a week earlier than expected. All are doing well and gaining weight.

Here are their first photos, taken this morning at age 1 week, 2 days.


Two black females

Two black males

Two gold females

Gold female
Our next litter is due at the end of April. The sire is GCH CH Joyslyn's Heartbreaker (Breaker) and the dam is (CH Joyslyn's Onyx). Breaker is gold; Onyx is black, so we are hoping for puppies of each color.

Photos and Messages from Others
From Rafe (translated by owner Mary): “I am not just another handsome face. I earned my AKC Novice Trick Dog Title this week. That takes an educated mind.  I’ll  let you know when my certificate arrives!”
Rafe - GCH CH Joyslyn's Inherit the Wind (now with a Novice Trick Dog Title!)
Mary added, "When we got home from the last tricks class, he was comical. I unloaded him last; he was hopping up and down on our patio before the back door, elevating about a foot off the ground, happy to be home, happy all 3 were part of the event, not sure. He tried to play charge Moka. She backed up, took a flying leap over him to the deck." (By "all 3" Mary was referring to Rafe and her two female Lhasas, Moka and Belle, who had attended the tricks class too.)

Barbara wrote, "Hi Joyce, Hope you all are well.  Sending you Lovie’s paperwork. She just keeps getting sweeter every day.  I could not ask for a better dog.   She gets away with a lot of stuff  with that face too."
Lovie
Jim wrote that Daisy went along on their trip to San Diego. He sent a few photos and this was my favorite. Love her color!!!
Daisy
Sally and Bob live way up north in MI. Sally wrote, "Just a few more winter pictures. Ginger loves it outside so much, it's impossible to keep her clean! We got a "pack" to carry her in as you can see with Bob in the pictures. Sometimes she gets scared and wants to run back to the car, so the pack I thought would help with that until she's used to it. She really looks a lot like her father! I was exploring your website some more the other day. He is very beautiful. Do you think if you had kept her Ginger would have been a show dog as well? She is quite pretty, I wonder how she would have done. I hope you are having a nice spring, we aren't yet but I hope soon!"
Ginger running through the snow tunnel

Ginger
Many puppies show breeders sell are good show prospects. The problem is, we cannot keep them all! Even when we sell what we consider a good show prospect to a pet home, it does not make us sad. We want great quality Lhasas "out there" demonstrating to those who ask "what breed is that" just what a Lhasa is supposed to look like. People often write me saying, "We want just a pet Lhasas. We don't want to show." That is absolutely fine with me. The sport of dog showing is not for everyone. It is a lot of fun for those of us who do it, just as skiing, boating, soccer, golf, agility, etc. are fun for those who choose those sports. 



Vernita wrote, "Livvy is definitely a force. She demands all the attention and struts about the house like the mortgage is in her name. I  just love her to pieces. I will send pictures as well. She’s now been trained to sleep in her own bed since she was insistent on sleeping between my husband and I. It was hard for a few weeks but now, any of the other dogs that visit can’t go near her area. She’s very playful, at times, almost too playful but she listens quite well now. Only to me, of course. She doesn’t care for strangers and we like it that way so I don’t allow anyone to touch her except for family. She’s a bit sensitive to noise that she doesn’t understand like if something drops or a car radio that goes by too loud…I again want to thank you for bringing this bundle of life to our home. She’s taking her first road trip with us in a few weeks so we’ll see how that goes."

Livvy chillin' on the bed

Livvy at the store
Carol wrote, "Hello Joyce! Jaime’s litter sister, Autumn is ever so beautiful!!! Congratulations on her ongoing success as a show dog.  I am happy to tell you I received Jamie’s AKC registration certificate about 10 days after I requested it. I am sending along a couple of pictures of our wonderful little boy…It is hard to believe he is a year old! The first year has been quite a wonderful journey, becoming acquainted with his little personality and unique ways. We are blessed beyond words with this precious little dog. Some of our family came to visit from out of state this week and he was thrilled with the opportunity to be the welcoming committee and shower them with affection.They thought he was super! As a private Piano teacher, I longed for a dog that would be good with children. He has more than met that desire. Thank you for Jaime and for all the Lhasas you have lovingly raised to enrich the lives of many families. In my book, they are the best!"
Jamie
Pat sent photos of Willow (Autumn's sister) and Baron.
Baron (parents are Chance and Jenna)

Willow (parents are Rafe and Kimmi) and Baron
That's it for now. Thanks for all who sent photos of their Joyslyn's Lhasas to share. Keep them coming...I love seeing them!

Happy Spring to All!
And, with that, I will end as I began--because I cannot stress it enough:

Joyce








 

No comments:

Post a Comment