Friday, July 29, 2022

ALMOST AUGUST


 I have always thought of August as "my month," evidently because it is my birthday month. I like being a Leo. Why? Well, first of all I have no choice so I might as well like it! But look at all the great things they say about Leos: Compassion and big-heartedness, consciousness, drive, and natural leadership are the four main characteristics of the Leo personality. Leos are known for their generosity of time, energy, respect, and money. There's some negative stuff too, but we won't go into that here...

I realize August is not quite here, but I was up most of the night with Winter who was acting as if she was going to have her puppy (yes, singular), but she did not, so I am sitting in my home office, which frequently, as now, doubles as a whelping room and nursery. Anyway, I decided to write the blog while I wait and keep an eye on Winter.

Winter on the day she earned her championship

If all goes as planned, our next litter will be born at the end of September. 

I was recently surprised and very humbled when the 
ALAC Online July issue came and, as I was browsing through it, I noticed a 2-page ad from ALAC members who evidently wanted to be anonymous. They were congratulating me for my years of owning, showing, breeding, and promoting/preserving Lhasas. That was a super gesture and, whoever you are, thanks for doing that. It was just the lift I needed that day! 

Notes and Photos From Others
Lynne and Robert sent birthday pictures of Amie celebrating her 6th birthday and wrote, "Here’s the star of our show! We all celebrated her birthday yesterday with no rain or thunder….which was a miracle considering the amazing monsoon season we’ve been having in New Mexico…..she was happy😍 Thank you, thank you, thank you for this wonderful little character! She gets more beautiful & lovely with each passing year….love her to pieces💕🐾





Mary R sent pictures of Rafe and Belle and wrote, "Attached individual pics of the dogs.The first, Rafe with his favorite toy in front, Sloth. Behind sloth is his next favorite, no arm turkey. We call NAT. The next is Miss Belle.  Every groom, I think of cutting her coat down to be easier.  I don’t think short hair dos are always the easiest. I just can’t cut her locks off. I can trim her coat shorter so she doesn’t trip, band the mouth so she doesn’t swallow coat, just can’t cut it down.



Debbie wrote about Sparkles: "She is adorable and amazing. She is such a sweetie. Walks well on leash, good with the grandkids and LOVES to cuddle. Good eater but has nice body proportions and beautiful coat. Very friendly little dog.  Thanks so much for making it possible."

From Priscilla about Trixie: "She and Ozzie are getting along well—they play well together, are becoming great pals and I am glad that he is here for her (she loves to play!) and she is here for him (he loves her company)." 

Raquel posted a photo of Hilo. He has such a sweet face.


Molly Anne wrote about Luna, "You may add a CGC to Luna’s CH. Needless to say, she made it easy. The original plan was to do therapy work, but post-covid there is no group here, and only one TDI evaluator in the state, and she is unavailable until November. Luna has already experienced what they test for (plus small neighborhood children) so I anticipate it  should  go well.
     As you have probably seen on the news our summer is turning especially hot and humid this year- fit only for “mad dogs and Englishmen”. Every other morning I get up at 6 , and “breakfast” is peanut butter with Benadryl. By 6:45 we are on a trail walk lasting  about 45 min to an hour.  When Luna stops and sits down she is  telling me it’s time go back to the car. Predictably,  it is the humidity which is hard on her. The rest of the day is spent quietly in the house (thank goodness for A/C), except for quick “necessary “ trips outside: I carry her where the asphalt is too hot.  Our car excursions are limited, even tho she has iced water, a frozen chill mat under the pad, and a fan in her crate.  
     She prefers evenings with television, when she lounges across my lap. Dog TV did not impress her one iota. Looking back, it is amazing to realize she will be 8  in October!"





Sally wrote: "Today marks the one year anniversary of me adding Jaxon to my home. He is just the best puppy! He makes me laugh every day as he loves to play all the time. He and Ginger are pals although there are still those times.... but that's ok she has to remain #1.😂. So a few pictures.... the one of Ginger and Bob shows how much those two love each other. The one of Jaxon laying on the grooming table, do you think his hair will stay that way? It's so puffy! He looks like a bear😄 He isn't fat he's nice and lean but he's a big guy.  I really enjoyed your blog and Pearl is so pretty, I love her eyes."




Judy G wrote this about TY: "Ty earned his first leg in Novice Rally last night. I am so proud of him!!. He started in rally in January so he has come a long way. He is very proud of himself. He knows he did well. I have registered him at UKC also. Their trials are only 45 minutes away, and the group has many people working to keep it afloat. He will start there in November. They have a trial in the middle  of August, but his down isn't perfect yet. Little miss queen, Nyx, should be ready for agility in late fall. She is the boss now. The boys don't care so that's good."

From Michele P about her Trinket: "Just thought you might enjoy seeing some very recent photos of Trinket, fresh out of the groom shop. This is the first Summer that we have been able to keep the coat long which is a mighty challenge. Apparently with age (3 yrs. old as of March) her colors seem to change to more of a golden hue. I know you had mentioned those Labradoodle dogs (non pedigreed). Evidently, people are buying those dogs in my area and definitely overpaying. The groom shop that I patronize is also seeing an upsurge and quite honestly the shop doesn’t want to take them in for grooming. The coat is basically difficult and most people don’t do the required grooming at home. In addition to that the groomers claim that those dogs lack manners on the grooming table and can be quite difficult. Trinket was groomed at an early age like you suggested and is well adjusted to grooming. She is such an amazing pet and seems to be able to understand everything you say to her. Also, Chris Christianson has a wonderful selection of Butter combs for drop coats.  I recently invested in their most recent comb which is a heavy, weighted metal, wide double toothed comb.  This comb pulls through the tangles effortlessly without tearing the coat. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing the photos of those gorgeous puppies. Hope you have a wonderful Summer."



Ruth wrote about Dani: "She is still a bundle of energy but is getting sweeter and more loving."


Paula sent this photo of Eleanor:


And here are pictures of Gwen's Mozart:


Thanks to all who took time out of your daily lives to write and to send/post photos of your Joyslyn's Lhasas. I enjoy reading about them and seeing how they have grown. Readers also tell me they look forward to seeing the photos and reading about their own Lhasa's relatives.

Other Stuff
Michele mentioned the Butter comb. If you are interested, here is a link. 


And AKC has this helpful information:Medical Emergency Care Tips for Your Dog


From the Lhasa Apso Standard:
“Head: Expression - Alert, thoughtful, intelligent. Heavy head furnishings enhance the proper Lhasa expression with good fall over eyes, good whiskers, and beard. Full depth of dark pigmentation on eye rims and lips is essential to achieve the desired softness of expression. Eyes Dark brown, almond shaped. Round full eyes and very small sunken eyes are undesirable. Ears Pendant, set slightly above eye level and carried close to the cheeks, heavily feathered. Skull Narrow, falling away behind the eyes in a marked degree, not quite flat, but not domed or apple-shaped. Stop Moderate. Muzzle Straight foreface of fair length with the length from tip of nose to eye to be roughly one-third the total length from nose to back of skull. A square muzzle is objectionable. Nose – Black. Bite The preferred bite is either level or slightly undershot.”

That's It For Now! Enjoy the rest of your July and have a great August! 
Joyce

P.S. I was hoping the puppy would be born before I finished this post so I could tell you if we had a male or female. No such luck!









1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting Hilos pic he did have a beautiful face. ❤️

    ReplyDelete