Tuesday, June 1, 2021

"June Is Bustin' Out All Over"


Sad News

On May 22 we bid a tearful goodbye to Ch San-Dhi Joyslyn Icon (Connor) who passed away shortly after noon. It was so hard to say goodbye but I told him how much he was loved and how thankful we were to have had him in our lives and hearts. He was such a good boy. He let us know he was ready to leave. Until that time, he was up and outside with the others, moving slow but appreciating life. RIP Connor. 1/20/05 - 5/22/21
Most of you will find his name on the pedigrees I gave you when you purchased your Joyslyn puppies.

Among the many condolences we received when I posted news of Connor's passing on FB, was this one from my friend Judy, who wrote, "RIP Connor. I personally thank you for the two of your beautiful daughters, Midnight Confessions (Whisper) and Midnight enchantment (Raven)." Judy went on to write, "I believe Connor may have stopped by to visit Gusto Spitz last night as he was finding his way to Rainbow Bridge. Gus is Connor's Great-Great Grandson. Gus was sitting on the bed near me looking at me. As I was looking at Gus' face, I suddenly recognized Connor looking back at me. I've never met Connor face-to-face, so this was really strange. But it was Connor's face I was looking at. I look Gus in the face many, many times a day and I have never noticed Connor in his head or face before. I had not yet read Joyce's post about Connor's passing, so there was no reason for Connor to come to my mind. I had intended to email Joyce today to share with her about seeing Connor in Gus' face...and now to learn he has passed. Thanks for stopping by to check on your daughters, Whisper and Raven, and to bless Gus with your brief presence in his body. Very strange, but I am grateful now that I know that Connor's spirit was passing through."

Here are some of our many photos of our Connor. The first two were taken when he was less than a year old. The third was taken the day he earned his championship. Notice how much lighter his coat became as he grew up. The last one is of him jumping, jumping, jumping....ears flying!




We miss that silly boy so much, but he was ready to go and let us know that it was time. 

The Puppies

Connor lives on through his kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. Those of you who have Joyslyn's Lhasas can look at the pedigree I gave you when you bought your puppy and more than likely will see the name Ch San-Dhi Joyslyn Icon on the pedigree. Connor is the great great grandsire of our current litter.

Here are photos of the new kids. They will be 4 weeks old in a couple days. Here are their 3 week photos. The first three are the females.
 







Notes and Photos from Others

Judy G. wrote, "I am so sorry about your loss of Connor. I met him when we picked up Izzy 13 years ago. He was a kind dog. I also asked to see Walker that day. If Izzy got her silliness from her Dad then it was also passed down to grandson Ty. They both do funny things just to get attention. Izzy is still skipping stairs even when I am at the bottom telling her not to. She never walks, always gallops. Ty is my heart dog. He is so fast at agility after he walks the first several obstacles.  He is only jumping 4" preferred."

Gigi wrote the following about Cinder, Josh's litter sister and the great granddam of the current litter. Her message brought tears to my eyes. "I do want to send you a huge thank you note. After Jasmine died I did not believe a dog could envelope my heart – but Cinder has! She is very nearly perfect – smart, funny, comforting, mischievous, and sure of herself. Like every Lhasa I’ve had she invents new policies and procedures into our lives, and I’m already participating in the routine before I realize it.
 
A perfect diva, she lies on a bed to eat in my office.
 
She is also part of our doggy group. From the time they were puppies, our two Scottish Terriers, Raven and Mazie, have signaled we have left the house by singing (howling) a short version of The Song of Their People. Not long after moving in, Cinder added her soprano to the chorus.
 
Most impressive is the growth of her vocabulary – especially in connection to her ‘'procedures.” The latest is she runs into my office and puts her front paws on my knees at a few minutes before 6:00 each evening. If I say “you’re early” or “in a minute” she lies down. But if I ask, “Is it happy hour? Do you want happy hour?” she laughs, grabs her Aflac duck, runs into the den and jumps on the sofa where we watch TV or read in the evenings – and have happy hour. She also knows who Aflac is.
 
I love this dog, more than I ever thought I could. Thank you for giving so much of your heart, your knowledge and your time to this wonderful breed. You are more than a breeder of merit. You are a breeder of miracles."



Kris wrote about Titan, "These following pictures are not good pictures- it’s hard to take great pics with three constantly moving beings. But I wanted you to know that Titan is amazing with kids. I got a good one!!!! Best temperament ever. So chill but so happy. Best combination. Thanks again."


Molly Anne wrote about Luna's visit to the town's Yappy Hour. What a great idea for a doggy get-together! "Despite torrential rain, we attended a Yappy Hour event.Luna‘a coat WAS flowing like liquid silk until we had to run in the rain. Even tho I tucked her under my jacket, she puffed up like a Pom. I thought you might like to see the video on Facebook: it is only 2 minutes long. The second shot of Luna is endearing, taken when we were walking up to receive a raffle prize.

The event coordinator declared Luna should be their social chairman. To see it:

* Google “ Hot Springs Village AR Yappy Hour
* click the arrow on the brown dog’s nose
* it goes to the Facebook page with the video.
Wish I could copy the second part when she stops to “ kiss” another dog.
The 3 groomers in attendance were impressed I am doing her myself-good to hear. I think it will take about another year for her coat to totally reach the ground.
At the close of the event, while waiting for the rain to dissipate, she nearly fell asleep in my lap- tired from her very busy day!

I meant to send you this one, too.
She has a doggie bag she got at Yappy Hour....
       'PAPER! My favorite!'
I was amazed to see the precious puppies: Eddie was so nearly identical to Luna I actually had to compare them one to the other! I so enjoy seeing all the photos in her family album. She goes with me nearly everywhere, but when that’s not practical and I will be gone awhile, she visits day care. Remarkably special, I am immeasurably grateful you graced me with her."


Eric sent an update on Harley (one of the adults we recently placed in a new home): "...This morning I caught her running the fence line playing with my neighbors big old German Shepard. She is a lot more comfortable around him now but she has the safety of being behind a fence. They even stick their nose through to smell each other... My parents are in town visiting, she seems to have warmed right up to them. Saturday we had a rather large family party for our son’s 21st birthday. There was a lot of people. She was a little skittish but did really well under the circumstances. She has certainly become a daddy’s girl. She doesn’t want much to do with anyone when I’m around..."

It looks like Harley has adjusted well to her new home!




















Kassia sent a photo of Leeloo and wrote, "What joy she brings." Leeloo celebrated her first birthday this week.


An Article

Recently a reader suggested I write about the difference between a show puppy and a pet puppy. I don't have to write that article because I already wrote it quite a while ago! However, I think it is a topic that a lot of puppy buyers wonder about, and because I know that not everyone who reads this blog also reads my website articles, here is the article.

What Makes a Puppy a "Show Puppy?"

by Joyce Johanson

When people call me to ask questions about the Lhasa Apso or to inquire about puppies Joyslyn's might have for sale, I am often asked to explain the difference between "show" and "pet" quality puppies. I find the difference often hard to explain without leaving the impression that "show" means "good" and "pet" means "bad." I have many times heard breeders (myself included) refer to a puppy in a litter as "just a pet", inferring that there's something wrong with him. What qualities are necessary for a puppy to be labeled a "show quality puppy?" And what lack of qualities cause a puppy to be "just a pet?"

There is often a fine line between what is considered "show" or "pet" quality, and two breeders evaluating the same puppy may come up with different answers, depending on what they value in a dog. Some people like a refined Lhasa and will sell more heavily-boned puppies to pet homes. Some like a Lhasa with a longer muzzle, so if there happens to be a shorter-muzzled puppy in the litter, it gets sold to a pet home. I could go on and on in this vein. The point is, for every quality one breeder values, another breeder may decide that it is an undesirable trait, and label the puppy "just a pet." These qualities do not necessarily have to be structural. Many a breeder has agonized over the "absolutely breathtaking" puppy that is a shy violet that could never withstand the rigors of the show circuit.

Usually, to a person with little knowledge of canine structure or the Lhasa Apso standard, there is no difference between the classifications "show" and "pet" unless the puppy in question has some obvious flaw, such as a pink nose, a parrot mouth, a grossly undershot bite, or a poor topline.

What it boils down to is this: if you want a Lhasa Apso as your family pet, and you have no intentions of ever showing, then don't feel that your potential puppy is being downgraded by breeders' jargon, the reference to "pet" quality. More important to you than a straight front, lovely movement, level bite or all those other things "show" people might admire is that your Lhasa puppy have a great disposition and fit in with your family's lifestyle. And don't apologize to people for having "just a pet." Showing is definitely NOT for everyone!

However, if you are looking for a Lhasa to show, keep in mind that dog showing is expensive and you want as high a quality puppy as possible to be competitive. If you buy an older puppy or young adult, you have more of an idea of structure and "show quality" than if you buy a young puppy. Many breeders will advertise their older puppies as "show quality" and their younger ones as having "show potential," simply because there are times when even an experienced breeder finds it hard to predict exactly how a young puppy will develop.

Sometimes a buyer will ask, "If I buy this 'show puppy' will you guarantee that it will get a championship?" My answer? NO! Why? Because so much depends on the buyer and what he/she does with the puppy after it leaves my house. Will the puppy be socialized, taken places to get used to different people, sounds, and smells? Will the buyer train the puppy correctly? Will the puppy's coat be groomed and conditioned properly? There are many aspects to showing a dog that go far beyond the dog's structure.

Concerned breeders carefully evaluate puppies before choosing a show potential puppy for themselves or their puppy buyers. They want the Lhasas in the ring with their kennel prefixes to be as outstanding as possible. They want what they consider the best of what they have produced out there speaking well of their breeding programs.

Also keep in mind that show quality includes attitude as well as structure and movement. An average Lhasa that has that "look at me! I'm special!" attitude often has a competitive edge over the more structurally sound dog that is not excited about being in the ring.

And don't forget that "there is no perfect dog." There is something about every Lhasa that someone would like to change: "He's got a great profile, but he holds his tail on the wrong side." "He has a lovely head, but I'd like to see a little less muzzle." "His movement is to die for, but I wish he were an inch shorter!" "He has lovely straight forelegs but lacks shoulder layback." etc...

Even when a breeder keeps a show potential puppy for himself it's usually a matter of trade-offs. He decides what quality or qualities he really wants (or needs) in his line and what traits he's willing to overlook to get them. He might say, for example, "I don't mind a bite that's a little undershot but cannot tolerate a bad topline." or "I don't mind that slight curve to his upper foreleg because he has the rear I've been looking for." or "This dog has the neck I'm looking for; I can live with his soft coat."

Each Lhasa was born to love and be loved, and whether that Lhasa is a family pet or top dog in the country, he deserves to be "Best of Breed" in the hearts of his owners.

-----------------------------------

Speaking of show puppies...last time I wrote, I said I would post the show photo of Rusty taken the day he won Best Beginner Puppy in Show. Here it is:


I took him to two other beginner shows last weekend and he did "okay." On Saturday he won the Non-Sporting Puppy Group and then got all silly in the Best Puppy in Show competition and decided he'd rather play with me than stand still! Not his finest hour but, hey, he is only 5 months old! On Sunday, he continued being a brat but still placed 2nd (out of 4) in the Non-Sporting Puppy Group. Only some of my Lhasa friends will "get" this next statement, but here goes anyway: We had another Chow problem! Seriously, those people are out to get me!

That's It for Today! 

Thanks for reading the blog and remember, "Life is Better When You Have A Lhasa To Love You!"

Joyce



No comments:

Post a Comment