Monday, September 2, 2019

Happy Labor Day! Catching Up with Photos and News


I have spent this day catching up on many things I have let slide due to my being away from home for a lot of August. As I went through the day, I listened to the news. So much bad news: the hurricane! more shootings! a fire at sea that took many lives! I had to turn off the TV. 

And here it is: Labor Day! I guess it marks the end of summer and the beginning of fall. People accept it as a holiday, a day off from work to light up the grill, hang out with friends, but seldom do we think about or even read about those whose efforts led to this day of celebrating workers. If you are not up on your history of Labor Day, you can find out about it in many places online, such as this one.

August has been busy for me. I left my husband, the cat, and the dogs at home while I flew to Florida to spend some time with my daughter, son-in-law, and grandsons, ages 2 and 5. We celebrated my birthday with pizza and cake, attended open house at my grandson's kindergarten, saw him off on his first, second, and third day of schools (complete with events that brought back terrible memories of trying to get my own kids up, out of bed, fed, dressed, and in a half-way decent mood to face the school day). I sure am glad those days are over! The week was gone before I knew it and I was back on a plane headed for Illinois. The plane was delayed, of course, so I did not get home until close to 1 AM. So, in the early morning hours of the the 22nd. I unpacked essentials (make up, etc.), moving them to the waiting almost-packed suitcase I had prepared ahead of time for the dog show trip. I then bathed and dried Autumn, put her and Winter (whom Lynn had bathed the night before - God Bless him!), my luggage and all the dog show "stuff" in the car for the 7 hour trip that morning to Lake Elmo, MN, and 3 days of dog showing. Call me crazy. I  do not deny it.

The shows were great fun and the Twin Cities Lhasa Apso Club always puts on great specialties. The prizes are lovely (Autumn won a gorgeous plate and a comfy crate pad), the food is great, and the raffles are fun (even though I seldom win raffle prizes. I can never figure out why!). It was great to be with Lhasa people who came from different states to compete.

At those shows, Winter was entered only one day. That's another thing I cannot figure out. What was I thinking when I filled out the entry form? She showed well and actually took Reserve over adults to the major on the one day she was entered.

Autumn took Best Opposite Sex two of the three days and Select Bitch one day. By doing so, she earned three 5 point majors that were more than enough to finish her grand championship. She can now be known as Multiple BISS GCH CH Joyslyn's Wind Song. The down side was that she was not showing well and was basically telling me "I do not want to do this anymore!" The problem was, I was not listening well.

More about that later. I had photos taken two of the three days and will post them once they arrive.

A really nice thing that happened was that Mary Rees brought Belle and Rafe to the show so I could see them again. Belle with thrilled to see me and her tail and tongue proved it. But, then I think she is glad to see everyone. She has that kind of personality. Rafe, being Rafe, was more sedate and stoic, as always. I was not able to go to MN for that show last year so did not get to see him then. He snuggled when I picked him up. I know he remembered me, but he was probably thinking, "I hope she is not here to take me away from Mary." I confess to tearing up when I held him. I was wonderful to hold him again and tell him how special he is. He is Autumn's sire. Thanks for bringing them to see me, Mary!

Here is a photo of Rafe with Belle and Moka.
From the left: Rafe, Belle, and Moka

 We returned yesterday morning from showing Friday and Saturday at the shows held in Amana, IA. Autumn, in spite of herself, won Best of Breed both days. Winter took Reserve on Friday and actually went Winners Bitch for her first two points on Saturday. Autumn displayed terrible showmanship in the Group both days. In hindsight, I never should have shown her in  the Group. She hates the cheering and loud clapping that the Group judging generates. I should have paid better attention to her needs instead of insisting on showing in the Group. Hindsight is always so helpful.

Our friend Michael Papierniak took some photos of Autumn in both the Group ring and the Owner Handled Group Ring on Friday. She actually took 3rd place in the Owner Handled Competition. Thanks to Mike for sending me the photos.

Yes, the lead is in my mouth! I needed both hands!







These were Autumn's last shows. She can now stay home and chill out. I think, though, that even if she doesn't like showing any more, she will be sad to be left behind. She always gets excited when she hears me getting the crates down. She likes going, just not showing!

A special congratulations to LaVonne Bennett, who showed Winter's litter brother, Nelson, to his championship on Saturday. Nelson is only 7 months old! I do not yet have photos of all of Nelson's wins to share with you, but here are two of them. This little guy is a great mover and has a super showy attitude. LaVonne and I co-bred the litter. The sire is Josh and we also co-owned the dam, Misty.

Best of Winners for a 3 point major!

Best of Breed for a 3 point major!
I am through with showing for a while. I've been on the go too much and it is time for both me and the dogs to slow down and get some rest. The two young girls, Winter and Millie, will go to training classes to prepare them for showing at the National in Albuquerque at the end of October.

Notes and Photos from Others
 
I cannot stress enough how much I enjoy the thoughtfulness and many photos and notes I get from people about their Joyslyn's dogs. It's also fun to share them.

From Janet about Pebbles: "Hello Joyce Hope everything is going good in Macomb.. Just wanted to give you a little update on Pebbles.. This is her first professional grooming.. ( she COULDNT be any CUTER).... and of course everyone fell in love with her. She has had all her puppy shots and rabies shot and is scheduled for spaying on August 19. I can’t believe she is almost 5 months old.. oh and she weights 6.5 pounds... She  is doing great with potty. She can fetch, sit, does very well on her leash. Comes (most of the time, sometimes the stubborn Lhasa kicks in...😂😂). And "NO Pebbles," "not for Pebbles" is not her favorite thing.  We love and enjoy her sooooo much.."

Pebbles
From Sally about Ginger: "I hope all is well! I love your blog and looking at all the puppies and hearing about them. The owner of Lovie has been in contact with me, she thought maybe Ginger was of the same litter. They aren't but they do look similar. You hear from so many people, I wonder how you keep them all straight! Ginger is doing great. She's almost 1 now. She is 100% puppy and tons of fun. She didn't  like the couple weeks of hot weather we had so I had her cut short~ she wants to be outside digging holes and running around that is for sure. My friend Bob said she is a tomboy~ so true. She has a great personality~still frightened of some things and not fond of kids, but that's ok, we don't see kids that much."

Ginger

Ginger
Marsha wrote about Jimmy: "He does relate well to some members of my family but does not  want to go for walks on the leash as any loud noises scare him. He loves being in the yard with me and playing with toys. I really enjoy him and go along with his whims as needed. He and I get along great."
Jimmy

Jimmy
Karen wrote about Cooper: "Hi Joyce! Wanted to let you know Cooper has adjusted to the craziness of our household quite nicely. Lol. From the first night he was very settled and has attached himself to Ryleigh quite well. Thank you for the wonderful addition to our family! We can never thank you enough!"

Judy wrote about Gus: "I was outside watering this morning and my water dog, Gus, kept playing with the hose and water, so I sprayed him a bit. Suddenly, the HUGE puppy I see every day is not as HUGE as I believe. He is definitely bigger than the girls, and at least 1 inch taller. He has a nice tuck up into his waist. Very nicely proportioned. What a relief! Gus is no tub 'o lard. He is a well muscled and heavy boned dog. When his adult coat grows in, he is going to be especially striking. His puppy coat just sticks out all over and makes him look twice as big as he is."


Molly Anne sent a progress report about Luna and how she is adjusting to her new life. At the end she wrote the following:
"SYNOPSIS-
a. Smart, independent mindset and curious
b. Patient, but does not like being “fussed over” (just like Sir Michael)
c. Very aware of what I am doing or where I am-tho she may not be in same place (like on the bed) Ex: if I were to sneeze, she would raise her head or (if on the bed) move to the end of the bed, and watch me. Id est: Doing her job
d. Cooperative and responsive. Will do or try virtually anything I ask of her
e. Loves going out- dog park, Blue Poodle play days, new trails (she opted to climb onto/thru rocks to cross DeSoto creek…)
f. strong prey instinct- has tried to chase chipmunks or squirrels-at least to end of flexi, but quiet and fascinated by the deer
g. left her alone for 3 hours (longest time) with no problems"


Luna -- this is the life!!
 I am positive Luna is loving every minute of her new life with Molly Anne. I am so grateful for all who have giving such loving homes t0 our retired champions.

Excerpts from an email from Victoria about their Stella: "This dog truly has been a gift for us all; she brings us so much joy! You are curious about her personality...
Remember how you warned us of her love of feet? That seriously has not changed! She still LOVES to lick feet...DISGUSTING!!! And in our house, the dryer is not the only place where we lose socks. Stella is becoming quite the little thief; she is so sneaky! She is the most lovable, cuddly little thing. And Ice cubes are like "doggie crack" to her! She knows the difference between her bear, moose and rhino, so you can ask her to go get her "X"  and she comes back with it. She actually will fetch with these toys but will not bring a ball back. So goofy! …

She loves to lay next to any of us, needing to actually be touching us in some way. She is truly like our shadow, she follows after anyone that is moving. Stella loves to play and can be somewhat rough, but she has the most cuddly, sweet side of her most of the time! She will just sit on my legs and almost fall asleep when I gently massage her little front shoulders. We have had the best talks this way!…Her original white markings are the same, but her mama's white is definitely starting to show. We laugh every time we go for a walk. Her little legs are just working overtime while her little butt is just a swaying...it is turning a bit more whitish/gray. Stella is an incredibly amazing dog! Thank you so much for taking such care in breeding your Lhasas! The love she shares, the attention she gives and her complete demeanor exudes class, sweetness and fun! Your careful attention to personalities truly show in Stella as she has matured this past year. WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BABY GIRL!!!"
Stella
Stephanie wrote "Addison is going great! She is growing fast and getting big. She’s a yapper! Lol
She went for her second round of shots since we’ve had her on July 26. Addi likes Dr Ohms. She’s a big girl at the vet! Her last round is on 22nd of August. We’ve talked to our vet about fixing both girls at the same time. We will let you know when. Her coat is lightening up some. She has brown spots behind her ears. Lots of white on her face now. She’s a cutie... and spoiled rotten 😂5.2#s"


Addison
 Jim wrote, "Hi Joyce; Happy international dog day. Daisy is doing well. She has enjoyed her summer. She dipped her paws in Lake Michigan a couple time but wasn’t the biggest fan; she likes her new apartment and really loves the park that is right next door. She’s so incredibly smart and loving. She is l well behaved; she only “talks” to use (using little low guttural noises) to let us know she wants to play. Although she loves a lot of types of treats, she especially likes peanut butter. She came with us to Tampa recently (and hated the summer humidity). She’s so funny, whenever we pull out her travel bag, she jumps in and gets excited - i don’t know if she likes traveling or just wants to be around us as much as possible. She’s recently gotten much more into fetch lately. She’s always finding the comfiest spots in the apartment."

Jim sent many cute photos. Here are two of my favorites. She is obviously quite a character!






"Til Next Time!

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment