Thursday, August 23, 2018

Show Results, Photos, Announcements, and Some Other Stuff







Whew...what a busy month. I don't even know where the days went but here it is, closing in on the end of August. The dog days of summer have passed and we're heading for fall!

I have a lot of photos and information to share in this blog. Things have just piled up. I've been away from home 12 days this month already due to visits to family, dog shows, and work. My husband has been great, as always, about caring for the dogs and keeping the grooming schedule on target.

The photos from the July Burlington Kennel Club show finally arrived. Here is the photo of Autumn (Joyslyn's Wind Song) after winning Best Beginner Puppy in Show. She was 4 months old that day, just old enough to compete. The judge is Barbara Jane Melzer. Autumn's sire is Rafe (GCH CH Joyslyn's Inherit the Wind) and her dam is Kimmi (CH Joyslyn's Heart Song).

Joyslyn's Wind Song (Autumn)
 Judge Robert Hutton awarded Chance (Joyslyn's Moon Shadows) Best of Winners and a 3-point major. That was Chance's first major. He has a total of 9 points toward his championship, needing 3 singles and a second major.

Joyslyn's Moon Shadows (Chance)
 

Here is a ringside photo of Chance, taken at a previous show in Grayslake, IL.

The photographer also took a ringside photo of Bekka (Joyslyn's Moonlight Beckons), Chance's litter sister, as she was moving around the ring.

We had a nice weekend last week at the Marshfield, WI, show. Many thanks to friends Jan Graunke, Karen Schlais, Sue Stoddard, and Jane Chapin for the birthday cards, the cupcakes, and other birthday treats, as well as for all the help and support at ringside. I had a lot to be grateful for on this birthday. For one thing, I am glad I don't feel as old as my actual age!

One of my favorite birthday cards came from my friend Jane, who found this lovely embroidered Lhasa card. If any of you are interested in getting something similar for a yourself or a friend, the back of the card said "Dogmania, Embroidered Products for Animal Lovers," and gave the web address as www.dogmania.co.uk


The site shows a variety of Lhasa items from cards to towels to caps and tote bags. It also looks as if there is an eBay shop for the items. There are a lot of dog breeds listed, so if you have a friend with another breed, you may find a birthday or Christmas gift for your friend (or yourself!)

Also, remember my remarks about the lack of Russian dressing? Well, two of my Lhasa friends, Marsha and Jan, found the dressing and gave me bottles of it for my birthday. I'm well set with Russian dressing for quite a while!

Back to show results: Bekka needed only a major to finish and she accomplished that on the Saturday of the Marshfield show under judge Nancy Simmons. I am so proud of my newest champion as she joins the other Joyslyn Lhasas that finished this year: CH Joyslyn's Onyx, CH Joyslyn MLS Dakota Je-Na Sais Quoi, CH Joyslyn Golden Tu KarLyn Fire N Ice. They are all beautiful, wonderful Lhasa girls!

Congratulations to all the other winners that weekend: Lynn Replogle - Winners Dog both days, Jan Graunke - Winners Bitch on Sunday with her cutie Flash, and Julie Timbers - Best of Breed both days.  

Chance was there also and took Reserve Winners Dog both days. He was freaked out by the wall he did not want to walk into, the large fan running at the end of the wall, and the misbehaving dog behind him, so his tail was down and that was the end of that. Lhasas moving with their tails down are a sad, ugly sight indeed! When he pulled himself together and put his tail up during the Reserve Winners competition, I thought he'd be okay for Sunday. Nope! It was a sad repeat performance.

The Marshfield show also had a Beginner Puppy competition, so Autumn went with us. It was her first experience traveling and staying in a hotel. She was a good traveler and for the most part was good at the grooming set up and in the ring. She does have a very insistent bark!! She did well during both days of competition, winning Beginner Puppy Non-Sporting Group 2 each day.

Notes and Photos From Others
Mary Rees sent an email from Rafe (GCH CH Joyslyn's Inherit the Wind) that said, "I passed level 1 obedience!!" Mary went on to report, "He did very well in a class of about 20..most very active young dogs. Most were amazed at his coat and calm behavior.  The instructor..who breeds , shows ET and cavalier spaniels..was amazed at his gait..very majestic." She sent these photos with the email:
 I am very proud of Mary and what she has accomplished/is accomplishing with Rafe. I know how stubborn he can be!

 Carolyn sent this cute photo of Paddy in his new home. He's made himself very comfortable there!


Nancy did not send a photo but she wrote a note about Paddy's litter sister that we called Lanie. "Joyce:  We wanted to let you know how our new puppy is doing.  We named her Cuddle Bug.  But I call her Pickle.  I don’t know why but it just is the name that comes out.  Pickle is so sweet, cuddly, mischievous, smart, and a busy girl.  We all just love her to pieces.  Of course, she is not spoiled with all of us to love her.   She is scheduled for her 3rd set of shots the first of September.  She did turn up her nose on the heart worm medicine so we crushed the heartworm and mixed it with peanut butter and she thought that was better."

Paddy and Pickle are offspring of Breaker (GCH CH Joyslyn's Heartbreaker ROM) and Greta (CH Joyslyn's No Regrets)

Chuck and Steve sent a note and photo of their Cooper celebrating his birthday. Cooper's parents are our Josh and Luna.
 Jennifer sent an email about Grace on her birthday. Grace is a daughter of our Josh and Shadow (who now lives with our good friend Jill in Indiana).

Jennifer wrote, "Hi, wanted to send you some pictures and an update on Grace on her 1st birthday. She is beautiful and energetic and still bouncy and happy. I am still not sure who is in charge yet, but I am trying. She can get herself in quite a bit of trouble so she is never allowed off of her leash when we are out on the road.
I have put her on a longer one so she can play and run and I can work on hand signals and other training,  it is going slowly but that's ok, my other dogs didn't learn these things  overnight, I don't expect Grace to. She is very smart but not food or treat oriented so I have to be creative.

      A few weeks ago we were leading in Moline next to the Mississippi river and I took her for a quick walk before we left and she saw the the geese and took off after them, she never even hesitated jumped right in the river, she swam about 2 feet and decided that maybe it was a bad idea, I pulled her back in and she watched from the bank after that. She definitely keeps me on my toes, but I love her and everyone wants to see her when we are home.

      She got a swimming pool for her birthday but I think she still might like the bathtub with the warm water."
 Angela wrote. "Hi!  Realized I haven’t been in touch for awhile and wanted to send a couple of pictures of the girls.  We bought a RV last year and they enjoy camping a lot more these days.  Loki is still her sassy self and has gotten pretty vocal when doing something she doesn’t want to do. Kila is having a harder time walking and her back legs are pretty unstable but she is always happy and doesn’t seem to be having any pain.  The two have a blue tooth connection and Kila won’t bark unless Loki tells her to and will have no idea what she is barking at."
Loki
Kila
 
Loki is the daughter of our Breaker (GCH CH Joyslyn's Heart Breaker ROM) and Dancer (Joyslyn's Dance Sensation). Dancer is also Rafe's dam.
Seeing Kila reminds me that her mother, our Secret (Ch. Joyslyn's Secrets of the Heart) just had her 16th birthday on August 21. Here is a photo taken of Secret in her heyday. Sadly, she is not doing well. She is an excellent eater and enjoys her baths but, otherwise, I fear she has no real quality of life. I dread losing her but keep asking myself if I am being selfish by not letting her go. I trust that she will let me know when she is ready. If I were her, I would be.

Another of Secret's offspring is our previously-mentioned male, Breaker (GCH CH Joyslyn's Heart Breaker ROM). He also had an August birthday and is now 10 years old. Where does the time go? Here is a photo of Breaker, taken in 2017 at the ALAC National Specialty. He still has that pretty coat and still produces lovely puppies!

 Announcement
Since I am writing about who is related to whom, I guess it is time to announce that Chance and Jenna (CH Joyslyn MLS Dakota Je-Na Sais Quoi) are the proud parents of an almost 4 week old litter of seven! There are 3 black puppies (one female and two males) and 4 gold puppies (two of each sex). Here are photos of them taken a couple days ago.

Chance x Jenna female

Chance x Jenna - Two males

Chance x Jenna - two females

Chance x Jenna - two males
 I'll be posting more photos as they grow. If you are on the waiting list and I have not contacted you about this litter, get in touch with me. I just have not had enough time to get all the emails sent out.

Oh...I think that after carrying, whelping, and taking excellent care of seven puppies, Jenna deserves to have her photo posted also.
Jenna - CH Joyslyn MLS Dakota Je-Na Sais Quoi


Links to Items of Interest 


Dog Training 101 - Back to School Training Tips for You and Your Dog

Learn to Speak Dog - The Meaning of Your Dog's Barks

 Thanks for reading all the way through this blog! Until next time, best wishes to you and remember always that "Life is Better When You Have a Lhasa to Love You!"

Joyce 

2 comments:

  1. Joyce, As usual I love reading your blog. I was especially excited this month to see Loki. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Loki is Piper's grandchild. I still miss my sweet Piper but Loki really looks like her, even a slight crook in her nose. What a beautiful line Piper created. Dancer was also so beautiful. Thank you for keeping us updated on all your pretty puppies!
    Gail (Piper's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail,
    Thanks for the note. I think you are correct about Piper. I know you miss her.

    ReplyDelete