Monday, April 24, 2017

April Coming To A Close



"The difference between winning and losing is most often not quitting". ~ Walt Disney

Not much has happened since I wrote last and yet it seems as if I have been really busy. We had an unusual Easter this year since it was the first time in 10 years that our granddaughter was not here to spice up the holiday. We were basically bored most and took ourselves out to lunch at an Asian restaurant. Our son, Trevor, came home Easter evening and stayed for a few days. He hasn't been able to get away since Christmas, and it was good to have him here. The dogs love him!

Work has been a bit stressful. I'm the main grant writer in our office, and we have a grant proposal deadline at the end of May. The grant is a large one and its funding employs a lot of people so, even though we've had the project for some time, we still worry about the possibility of competition and the future if we are not funded. Nothing can be taken for granted! So, yeah, it's been stressful. The writing is going well though and the first draft should be done by the middle of the week.

As for the Lhasas, all is well. The girls still have not come in season. It's out of my hands, so I am  trying hard not to be annoyed. Nonetheless, their tardiness has upset the schedule I had in mind. Just watch, they'll come in season at the same time and then what?? Decisions, decisions?

Speaking of decisions: "Various internet sources estimate that an adult makes about 35,000 remotely conscious decisions each day (in contrast a child makes about 3,000). This number may sound absurd, but in fact, we make 226.7 decisions each day on just food alone according to researchers at Cornell University (Wansink and Sobal, 2007)."

No wonder my brain is tired, and I hate deciding what to make for dinner each evening!

Today was a "red-letter day" because Greta's official Championship Certificate arrived from AKC! On Saturday her finishing photo arrived in the mail.

 Now for some photos!


 Here is Greta's final show photo. Note the "New Champion" on the sign.

Here is a photo taken of her when she was about 5 months old - in March of 2016, so there is about a year between the two photos. What a difference!
Greta - almost 5 months
Two posts ago I wrote about the show in Manitowoc. Here are a couple photos that were taken at that show. First is a photo of LaVonne and me with her dogs, Cooper (who is the son of my Rafe) and Misti, whom LaVonne and I co-own. Cooper won his first points that day and Misti won Best Opposite Sex. The dogs look great. LaVonne and me? Not so much. Do not ask me what that photographer was thinking when he chose that particular photo. Lately, many show photographers take a couple pictures. The companies I like best then post all the photos they've taken of a person's dog on a website, where they can be looked at and the best selected. Some show photographers are "old fashioned" in that they choose the photo and send it to you whether you like it or not. Anyway, the dogs look great. Don't look at LaVonne and me (unless you want to laugh -- we can take it!). I still can't figure out why I was looking up. There was nothing up there but a ceiling!


Cooper also won Best Puppy and went on to compete in the Puppy Non-Sporting Group, where he took a Group 4. We are very happy with Cooper. That weekend was his first show weekend and he was happy and comfortable in the ring. Very showy puppy!



Joe posted a cute photo of his Abby on his Facebook page. Abby is a litter sister to Kimmi. Their parents are Breaker (GCH CH Joyslyn's Heartbreaker) and Maggie (CH Joyslyn's Moonlight Magic).

Joe's Abby

Marsha Susag sent me a link to a YouTube video of her Lhasa Lindy participating in a Barn Hunt event. Lindy is Josh’s and Greta’s grandmother. The object of the Barn Hunt is to find the rat(s) that are protected in tubes and hidden in bales of hay. The dogs also are required to jump on a bale of hay and to go through a tunnel. Lindy’s work shown on this video resulted in a "Q" - a qualification toward a new title.
Here is a photo of Lindy taken when she stayed with us for a couple weeks.
GCH CH MLS Desiderata Lindy
Mary Rees sent some photos and updates about Belle (Joyslyn's Beauty Secret) and her other two Lhasas, Roman and Moka, all of whom run agility. Well, not Roman -- he is now retired from competition, but he still goes to the trials with the girls.

Mary wrote, "2 Qs for the girls this weekend at the AKC Twin Cities Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club Agility Trial. It was a long day, running late, especially for Belle running last of the day."

Here are photos of Mary's girls with their ribbons, taken at home after the trial. Belle is on the left, Moka on the right.
Mary had previously written and sent a photo of all three of the Lhasas. She wrote about Belle: "Roman’s crate is on the kitchen floor;  he has a clamp on dish, always has some kibble in it. On the way to the door in the morning to go out, Belle quickly grabs a mouthful of the kibble, stops, looks at me, doesn’t chew until outside. It’s like a kid getting caught in the cookie jar. I found a bait she cannot resist…steak. It’s NY strip, ribeye. I have had to learn how to pan cook it like a restaurant, but she is tipping the teeter for steak. Only time I use steak for bait is the teeter; hopefully will get her over her fear. We have gone backwards a bit in our connection in running; Belle tends to want to run fast, just the wrong direction! She has her Novice Jumpers title. I am just not ready to move her up until we get better teamwork."

Belle in front with Roman behind her and Moka on the right

Our condolences to Roman and Violet Chichy on the loss of their Lhasa, Yogi, at age 14. He was spoiled and well loved, as all Lhasas should be. He was a half brother to our GCH CH Joyslyn MiToya Wind Walker. Here is Yogi on the day before he left for his new home with Roman and Violet all those years ago. I still remember the day they came to pick him up. 
What a cutie!
Our heads tell us that our Lhasas will be with us such a short time and leave us much too soon, but our hearts want them to live forever. Many of you reading this have experienced the passing of your Lhasas and know the horrible sense of loss. "They are waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge" we tell each other. I have to say, I am going to be disappointed if this is not true. I fully expect to be bowled over as I am greeted by my many beautiful Lhasas who have gone before me! (I just hope they all still have a long, long wait for me!)



With that, I will end as always, with the reminder that

Life is Better When You Have A Lhasa to Love You!

Joyce

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment