Friday, May 8, 2015

A Week of Ups and Downs


I have had better weeks - and worse ones. We all have. Mine started out great. Early, early Sunday morning, Maggie was in labor. Her first puppy was born at 1:15, a lovely little black and tan male. He was followed by five others.

I have quite a few people on my waiting list, so on Monday I contacted those at the top of the list to let them know their puppies had been born. All was well.

I checked the puppies shortly after 10:00 Monday night. All was well. They were all quietly nursing.

Early Tuesday morning one of the male puppies passed away.  I was heartbroken. I have no idea what happened or why.

Later on Tuesday, I had to ruin someone else's day by telling her that I no longer had the puppy available. What a gracious response I received, and I cried all over again.

And the ups and downs continued all week, although thank goodness none of the others were extreme -- until we discovered Luna had an eye infection! Luna's eye will be fine, but you know how things are when you are already feeling low. "One more thing," can quickly become a huge ordeal as all the little things start to weigh you down.

I am looking forward to attending Luna's first dog show tomorrow. She'll finally get to strut her stuff in a real show ring! Josh is entered too, just to keep his head in the game. We hope the experience is an "up" for the three of us. We'll be there with friends and look forward to seeing more of our "dog show friends" again.

Here are Maggie and Breaker's new babies:

The three boys
The two girls

Everyone is eating well and gaining weight.

I received a nice email from Deborah who wrote about Mysti's first puppy matches: "Hi Joyce.  Mysti had her first puppy show Saturday and a puppy match.  She was Best in Variety in the puppy match.  The rest of the ribbons are from Saturday and Sunday.  What a trooper she is!  She really didn't get much sleep before an early show and her schedule for eating and sleeping was out of whack all weekend.  Everyone thought she was a Havanese.  She was the only Lhasa Apso puppy and there was 1 Lhasa Apso in the regular show."

Mysti is 4 months old now. Regular readers will remember her photos that were posted this winter and early spring.

Here are Mysti's ribbons from the weekend:

and here is a very tired little Mysti, resting after her big day at the show.

Congratulations Deborah, Ron, and Mysti! You are off to a good start.

A couple readers have told me that if I ever have an adult female available or know of one who needs a new to home to let them know. But, since I can't find the note I wrote myself, I'm just going to make an announcement here and hope the right people read it.

Cleo, a Lhasa female purchased from us, is available to the right  home. Here is the information her owner sent me: "We recently had a son who is now 8 months old and we're having some problems with Cleo adjusting to having a human baby around. She's always been a very timid dog but I feel she's gotten even more so since we've had our son and quite frankly, I feel as though she's downright miserable. She LOVES just to be held and petted all the time and does not really care to go on walks. However, I feel like she now spends most of her time either trying to hide in her bed or runs upstairs to hide under our bed. We've tried many times to have her get close and introduce her to our son but she mostly just seems annoyed or uninterested. My husband and I have talked endlessly about all of this and as much as it absolutely breaks our hearts, we truly feel that Cleo would be happier in another home where there weren't small children around.

Cleo  LOVES to be held and sit in your lap. She's extremely affectionate to her family and likes to sit back and take it all in. She truly thrives around adults and older children and is happy just to be around people. She also likes to be around other small dogs (mostly male dogs) and will play fetch for a bit before she wants to sit in your lap. She will also do just about anything for a treat or a greenie (she can definitely be bribed!). For a little dog with a loving house cat type personality, Cleo is most happy just hanging out and being around her family." 

Cleo is used to other dogs as this couple also has a male Lhasa. He has adjusted well to the baby in the family.

Here are photos of Cleo:

If anyone is interested, email me at joyslynslhasas@outlook.com and I will send you the contact information so you can inquire about Cleo.

The ups and downs of life...everyone has them, and I know the saying, "You need the downs so you can appreciate the ups" is true. Let's hope the "down" this young family is feeling will turn into someone else's "up" when they accept Cleo into their family. From the sounds of it, Cleo might be due for an "up" in her life too.

Oh, and wouldn't you know, while I'm sitting here writing about ups and downs, I received a phone call from my daughter-in-law, who told me the good news that the interview she went to yesterday resulted in a phone call today offering her the job. The down (for me) ... the family is moving by June 1st to a city in another state. For some reason they think they have to take my granddaughter with them! Now that is a definite "down." It'll be hard to have them away when they've been in the same town with us for 10+ years!

We all agree, life's ups are better!

And it's true, Life is better when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce






No comments:

Post a Comment