Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I've Been to Fargo...

A refrigerator magnet gift from Marsha
Marsha Susag has been after me for years to come to Fargo for the dog show. This year I finally told her that I would be there. Once home from the 4 days of shows at Bloomington, IL, when I saw how quickly I had to recover from those shows and get ready for the Fargo trip, I questioned my sanity about my decision to go! I think Rafe and Windy were also thinking I was crazy.

I had the good sense when I was making out the Fargo entries to realize that I needed extra time at home between shows, so I entered only Saturday and Sunday and not the Friday show. Rafe, Windy, and I left at 5:00 AM on Friday and were at the Fargo fairgrounds by 4:30 PM. (I love it that in Iowa and Minnesota the speed limits are 70 mph on the interstates. Illinois is still 65! That extra 5mph makes a difference. Okay ...so it was an extra 5 miles plus!)

The weather was rainy and overcast for a while and from the mud at the fairgrounds it was evident that Fargo had had as much rain as we'd had in Macomb the past week. It rained more on Saturday and was windy and chilly. Sunday was a lovely day. The sun was out and the temps were pleasant.

We had good luck at the shows and I made some new friends from North Dakota who were set up near us and who helped me hold dogs at ringside. Jackie was showing Italian Greyhounds, and Vickie was showing Dachshunds. Both took Windy back in the ring while I showed Rafe for BOB. Windy did a wonderful job with each of them, especially since both were total strangers that she'd just met at ringside.

On both Saturday and Sunday, Windy took Winners Bitch for a point each day. Now she has 5 points, including a major. Rafe took Best of Breed each day. Saturday's judge was Charlotte Patterson and Sunday's was Ed Bivin. Rafe took a Group 4 on Saturday under Patterson. Hurray!

Marsha had a lovely 6 month old male puppy that won a point each of the three days and that took a Puppy Group 3 on Saturday. He's a cutie, and I think she can expect some great things from him. Her champion female, Lindy, who is Windy's mother, earned more points toward her grand championship. Now she needs only 2 points and she'll have it!

All in all, it was a great weekend. It was so nice to see Marsha again, and we spent a lot of time chatting. We had time on Saturday for Marsha to take me on a Fargo tour, introduce me to a favorite shop, and take me to dinner at a great restaurant. By Sunday, after loading up dogs and equipment then helping to clean up the kitchen area after the show (Marsha was in charge of the hospitality room and the judges' meals), we were both very tired. The dogs were resting comfortably and glad to be done for the day. Knowing I had an 11.5 hour drive ahead of me on Monday, I went to bed early. By 4:45 the next morning, the dogs and I were loaded in the car and on our way back to Illinois. I am very thankful not only for the safe trip there and back but also for audio books. Without them, my long distance travels would be unbearable!

While I was gone, Mira's puppies grew! They are much more active now and, to Mira's chagrin, are interested in her bowl of food. Mira does not like to share, even with her own babies! Here are photos we took of them last night at 4 weeks and 2 days old.
Hunter
Jethro
Lila

Also, the Group 2 photo of Rafe that I was sort of dreading seeing came in the mail while I was gone. For all the messing around we had to do to get that photo, it did not turn out as awful as I'd feared. Oh, there are things I would change about the way his front is set up, and I would definitely like to grab a brush and fix his head and tail, but it is what it is, and I feel fortunate that it turned out as well as it did. Note that we had to remove the platform. He refused to cooperate at all while he was standing on it. The photographer insisted that the floor was too dark for him and that he stand on a towel. Weird but, oh well...I was frazzled enough without arguing over a stupid towel. We'd tried the judge on the opposite side. We'd tried me sitting on the platform behind Rafe. We'd tried facing Rafe the opposite direction. If you look close, you can see how red my neck is...frustration and total embarrassment! I think if they had let me stack him on a table, he'd have behaved better.
Rafe, Group 2 win at the Scott County Kennel Club show, May 12, 2013
 with Judge Richard Miller
Rafe was slightly better behaved for his Group 4 photo last weekend. I warned the photographer and the judge about his dislike of  having his photo taken, and both were patient. From what I saw of the tiny digital image on the camera, I think the photo will be okay.

I received some cute videos of Yogi, a nice letter from Davy's owner, and this photo of Ella on her 6 month birthday.  All were much appreciated! Ella's face reminds me so much of Dancer's face. Dancer is Rafe's mom and Ella's grandma.
Ella - what a cutie!

Life is better when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce




No comments:

Post a Comment