Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Puppy Updates and Notes from Friends -- Pictures Too!


Daisy and Friend
Gabe
I received a Valentine's note from Daisy via her owner, Barbara. Daisy was a litter sister to our Ch. "Zach," now known by his new owners as Zeus. You've seen pictures they've sent of him. Mary also sent a Valentine's greeting from Gabe, Rafe's litter brother. Look at that tail!!

Daisy was instrumental in helping Barbara through the loss of her husband to cancer. "Daisy" wrote that "… she says I was the BEST medicine for Dad that he could ever had right to the end.  Do not quite understand what she means cause it just comes natural for me and was doing what I do best - give unconditional love to everyone!  Everyone I meet wants to take me home with them but Mom is right there giving them the eye that will never happen!!!  She told me that I AM her BEST OF SHOW…" Daisy also reported that one of her jobs is "goose patrol." She said, "…we have huge gaggles of geese coming from the two retention ponds and Mom can yell and chase them but they ignore her.  I just come the door and they start to squawk and take off.  The neighbors call for me if I can come out for goose patrol.  When I do my job, I do get a treat each time and they all treat me like a queen!   Love getting those phone calls for help!!!!"

Barbara added a P.S., "Joyce, just want to thank you again for blessing me with our "PP" like Tom called her - Precious Puppy…Guess you know that she is dearly loved and cared for and brings smiles to everyone!  Still thinking of taking her as a therapy dog..."
Whisper

Judy posted a photo of Whisper on her Facebook page. Whisper is a litter sister to Maggie and Raven. Like Maggie, Whisper likes to carry around her stuffed toy. Judy and I both refer to the toys as the girls' "babies." Maggie's favorite is still the green alien. According to Judy, Whisper's favorite is whichever toy her other Lhasa Sophie is playing with! Judy wrote, "Whisper is such an intelligent Lhasa. She learns fast....Doesn't Whisper have the prettiest and most feminine face? I love her eyes. Those are so striking and inquisitive. Whisper still is the one who initiates play with the others. In spite of her always leaping on Sophie, they are like best friends and constantly are racing around together."

Mallory left Friday morning with her new owner. They had a 13-hour drive back to South Carolina. Catherine wrote, "Just a note to update you on Mallory.  She was a trooper on her  13-hour trip to SC!  She was a perfect traveling companion and only whimpered for the first two blocks!!  To use your words, she IS a  doll!!  She has been playing and getting acquainted with her new  surroundings.  She is such a sweetie and full of kisses!!   She really has a great personality!!  We just love her, and she appears to  love us!"  Then she added a P.S., saying, "Life is better when you have a Lhasa to love and Mallory kisses!!"

The dog show in Des Moines last weekend was a fun "first show of the year" for me. Rafe remembered his ring manners. He looked good, showed well, and received compliments from both judges. Alas, in spite of all that, he ended up with the Select Dog Award and not the Best of Breed. Those two Selects gave him two more points toward his Grand Championship. Now we are down to needing only 6 singles.

I saw the cutest t-shirt at the show last weekend that really hit home for me. On the front it said, on three lines:
I don't need another dog
I don't need another dog
I don't need another dog


and on the back it said
Do you want to see my new puppy?

Then there was another that had a fourth line on the front that said
…Unless it's another {fill in the breed} . (I, of course, would add the words "Lhasa Apso!")

Miss Windy went with us to Des Moines, not to be shown but to try to get her acclimated to the world of dog showing. She is frightened by the environment -- the noises, etc. and was not at all comfortable being out of her crate  and on the grooming table. She was even less pleased with me when I put her on a lead and we took a walk outside and then inside around the grooming area and vendor area. I waited for a quieter time when there were fewer people and less hustle and bustle, but she still was worried. She is basically a Lhasa with a strong ego and high option of herself so it was difficult for me to see her so  uncomfortable. We're going back to training class next week, then to another show the following weekend to see what happens. She just may have to go along for the ride until she gets more comfortable with the shows.
Max, 11 weeks

Weather permitting (a winter storm is forecast for our area), Maggie's boy, Max, is leaving this weekend for his new home where he will be re-named Snickers. He looks grumpy in this picture. He wanted to play and squirmed to get down. He had better things to do than pose for another picture! He was also a little irked at me because he had to sit still while I combed his mustache.

Ellie, 11 weeks
Ellie will be lonely without her siblings, and I'm sure her protests will be loud and lengthy. She'll enjoy more attention though and, once Raven's boys are a few weeks older, Ellie will again have some playmates. I think Windy will enjoy playing with her too. Windy can be quite bossy at times, but she is very playful, outgoing, and loving to her people. The older Lhasa girls do not always appreciate her, but I think Ellie will. Windy wants to be alpha. (She's a "legend in her own mind.") Ellie doesn't care, so they should get along fine.

Raven's boys, 4 weeks
And of course, Raven's baby boys are growing and learning. One of them barked (if you can call it that) last night. So cute. They've begun exploring and playing with toys and just falling asleep at a moment's notice. Raven likes playing with them. The lighter one seems to be the more inquisitive one at this point. Notice that they still do not have names. I am thinking about recycling a couple call names from previous litters because they seem to fit these two. We'll see.

I've appreciated the numerous calls and emails asking about our next litter. We are hoping for a breeding at the end of March/first of April, and that's about all I can tell you right now.


Life is better when you have a Lhasa to love you! Give yours some kisses!!!

Joyce




No comments:

Post a Comment