Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sharing a Picture and Other Stuff



And here she is...our lovely Mira, officially (at least to us) now known as Ch. Karlyn Joyslyn Who's The Fairest.

While I am eagerly awaiting AKC's posting of her final major, I wanted to share this photo with all my readers. It was taken the day Mira won her last major, giving her a total of 16 points.

Those of you who show dogs can now skip these next few paragraphs while I help my non-showing readers understand some of our "dog show jargon."

To become an AKC Champion, a dog has to win a total of 15 points. Each year AKC publishes what is known as a "Points Schedule" for each breed for each region (AKC refers to them as "Divisions") of the country. I live in Division 5, comprised of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio.

(Let it be said here that most people wonder what the exact formula is that AKC uses to determine each year's Point Schedule, because often it makes no sense to those of us who are bound by what seems to be its arbitrary annual calculations.) But back to the topic...

Using the point schedule, a person can figure out how many points her dog might win at a particular show. The points are calculated by the number of each sex in competition. The more dogs entered, the more points the win is worth. For example, from May 15 2009 to May 14, 2010, the points for this region for Lhasas are as follows:
two males = 1 point, 4 males = 2 points, 5 males = 3 points, 6 males = 4 points, and 8 males = 5 points.
two females = 1 point, 4 females = 2 points, 6 females = 3 points, 8 females = 4 points, and 11 females = 5 points.

The Points Schedule differs for each breed and for each region ("Division") of the country.

Of the 15 points a dog needs for his/her championship title, at least 2 of the wins must be what we refer to a "major wins" or simply "majors." Those are wins of 3, 4, or 5 points. The majors must be won under two different judges.

The other wins can be what we refer to as "singles." That is, wins of either 1 or 2 points. A dog might win 15 (or more) single points, but without the 2 major wins, he/she cannot become a champion. Mira had 10 single points and one 3 point major going into competition on March 6. Her win that day earned her the second required 3 point major and resulted in her having enough points to receive her championship, for which I am very grateful.

Many thanks to Mira's many fans and to her breeders Karen Schlais and Jan Graunke.

On another topic...

I've started taking Zach and Desi to training classes, which entails moving at the speed of light after I get off work each Tuesday afternoon, flying home to get the dogs fed and pottied, getting myself and puppies in the car and on our way for an hour and a half (or so) drive to Peoria where the class is held, being at class an hour, then heading home again, arriving about 10 PM. Whew...

I am pleased to say that after 2 classes, both puppies are doing just great. Last night there were 2 five month old Shih Tzu there and my dogs thought that it was wonderful to see someone their size. Big and small dogs attend the same class, so we had a German Shepard behind us and a Shih Tzu ahead of us. Fortunately, the Shepard was benign and simply curious about that furry little thing in front of him, and the Shih Tzu was happy and willing to play!

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you. (It's also much better when one of those Lhasas does NOT get carsick each time she goes to training class, but that has yet to happen and is another story altogether! LOL)


Joyce

2 comments:

  1. You know Joyce, I just now got it.. Mira and Who's the Fairest...LOL I'm slow!! She's beautiful! Tashi's got champagne colors with dark collar and ears and tail. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Sarah! Actually, I started calling her Mira shortly after we got her. I COULD NOT think of a name for her AKC registration. (sound familiar???) But then one day I was playing with her and just said, "Mira, Mira" and inspiration struck! I was proud of myself. I think it's a cute name and she seems pretty sure that it fits her!

    Tashi is marked liked most of the Joyslyn's dogs, some shade of "gold" with the dark tippings.We've had reds too, like Walker. Back in the 1980's we bought a black female and from her got a black male CH. Joyslyn's Mirage. I did not want to have a whole house full of blacks so we sold most of the black puppies. The last one we kept to show was Ch. Joyslyn MiToya Escapade (Jordie) and he passed away at age 13 a few years agao. But of I late, I wanted a black again so when Karen had a black female I asked if I could have her and that is how Mira came to live here!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete