Friday, June 17, 2011

Home At Last


Well, I am home and more or less settled back in after returning from a five-day trip to Providence, Rhode Island, to attend the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Annual Professional Development Institute. I have only positive things to say about the conference. I'll keep them to myself because I doubt that you are reading this blog to find out about digital technology in the early childhood classroom, the levels and definitions of the various aspects of technical assistance, the amazing gift to the early childhood field named Lilian Katz, the latest and greatest in new children's literature, or how you can use music and dance to teach young children math concepts (to list only a few of the sessions I attended).

Leaving early Saturday morning was difficult, not only because I had to leave the house at 2:30 AM to get to the airport in time for the flight, but also because of Clown's death the day before. It was difficult to focus on a work-related conference when we'd just lost a dog who'd been part of our family for 14 and a half years. We've had many dogs over the 38 years and suffered through many losses. It is never easy, no matter how many times a person deals with the death of a pet. All are individuals. All bring a unique gift of themselves. All are mourned.

Clown was named after our Ch. Joyslyn's Clown Prince who was an old guy when we moved to Illinois in 1989. Although they were related only distantly, as a puppy, Clown resembled his namesake so much in appearance and behavior that it seemed only natural to give him the "Clown" appellation. They were both characters, that is for sure!

Thanks to all of you who called, emailed, or posted comments about Clown's death. I appreciated your support.

The visit to Rhode Island was great. Honestly, it was never a destination I dreamed I'd ever visit, and we were too busy at the office for me to do any online exploring about the city, so I had no idea what was in store. Once we arrived on Saturday, we walked through the downtown area of Providence and ventured up the hills (really, really steep hills) and then back down them, asking ourselves how in the world residents managed to survive those inclines in the winter time. We saw amazing architecture, lovely churches, homes dating back to the late 1700's, and many huge old mansions, beautifully restored. We managed a couple hour walk each evening after the conference.(Yes, I was challenged by those steep hills!)

Oh, I have to tell you about checking into (and out of) the hotel, the Hilton Providence. The hotel was lovely and the staff extremely welcoming, but I was not impressed with the registration and check out. When I checked in, I was asked if I wanted to keep the payment on the card used to reserve the room, the Mastercard ending in 7034 (or some such number). I said I did not have a credit card ending in that number and showed the man my reservation confirmation email that indicated the card I had used to confirm the reservation. He did not seem to believe his eyes, so  he asked, "So you don't want to keep the charges on the card that ends in 7034?" Duh. "No," I replied, "I told you that is not my card. It needs to be changed." Confused, he had to go to get his manager. Now, mind you, it was he who asked me in the first place if I wanted to change the card! Perhaps he is used to being told "no" so did not know what to do when someone said "yes." Eventually, it was all worked out, taking much longer than it needed to take.

So…checkout morning arrives. A blue statement under the room's door awaited me. It was two pages long, indicating charges for Room 1105, giving my name at the top of each page. One page showed charges for check-in on 6/11 and checkout on 6/15, room charge, tax, etc. At the bottom were the last four digits of my credit card. The second page showed arrival of 6/10 and check out on 6/15. It was full of room service, movie, and internet charges. It showed the last four digits of an American Express card! Long story short…it all got straightened out, for now. I am fearful of what might show up on my credit card statement. Heaven only knows if my card number showed up on someone else's bill who answered, "Sure" when the guy asked if he wanted to keep the room expenses on card ending in my card's numbers!

Back home to happy greetings from the Lhasas and a husband worn out from his five days of work on our hallway, where he'd torn out the carpeting then sanded and stained the hardwood flooring that has been covered by carpet since the house was built back in the 60's. It looks great and was a nice surprise to come home to. I love the renovations—but only after the fact! I can't deal with the mess as the renovations take place. Lynn has decided to do them while I am away from home.

Whisper is headed to CA next month. Here is her most recent photo. She is growing up to be a beauty!
Joyslyn's Midnight Confessions (Whisper)


I have this weekend "off"—if that is a good way to refer to having nowhere to go and nothing to do but laundry, housecleaning, dog grooming, and (much needed) grocery shopping. Next week, I'll be preparing for the Hawkeye Kennel Club show in Iowa City. Breaker is making his debut in the Best of Breed class. Raven and Maggie are both entered also. I'll let you know how that goes!

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce


No comments:

Post a Comment