Wednesday, February 6, 2013

It's February Already!

Our first Lhasas, Buffy and Pheebe
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.  ~Kin Hubbard

Ah yes...the February weather. Ours was cold and now it's warming up again before it gets cold later in the week! It's nice to have these little "warm spells" but then the cold temps and winds seem twice as bad when they return. Spring will be here soon. Right?

I have a lot to share with you this week. Most of it is pictures. One happy thought that popped into my head this week was that it will soon be 40 years since we bought our first two Lhasas and "Joyslyn's" first showed up on an AKC registration certificate. Little did I know at the time what adventures, thrills, and yes, some heartbreaks awaited me in the coming years. People sometimes ask, "Would you do it again, knowing what you now know?" I can't answer that question not knowing what the alternative would have been. For sure there would have been less dog hair, no poop to pick up everyday, no daily grooming schedule, no grooming tables "decorating" the family room, no baby gates to climb over, no sitting up at night trying to save failing puppies, no worrying while one of the girls whelps a litter. But there are also a lot of people I've met who have positively impacted my life, and friends I have made through puppy sales, showing, working on ALAC Board and serving on various ALAC committees. So, it's a toss up. My life is what it is and the dogs have been an important part of it since I was 21. I'm grateful for the many ways they have enriched my life.

Raven's boys are growing fast! Their eyes opened last weekend and they started trying to get up on their feet. They are still quiet and content and I'm looking forward to the next few weeks when they'll be up and about more and their personalities will start to develop. Raven continues to fret if she can see the other puppies running around the adjacent room, yet when she is away from her own babies, she invites the other three to play.

Ellie, 9 weeks
Here are the most recent pictures of Maggie's puppies. They are adorable, charming, and ornery. What one doesn't think of, the others do. Right now, their favorite past time seems to be flipping up the corner of the family room area rug and chewing on it. They think it's funny when I get after them about it! All three enjoy tugging at any blanket that is hanging within reach, especially if a person is using the blanket!
The rug - Ellie and Mallory
 
Max and the blanket
Mallory, 9 weeks
Max, 9 weeks
Max and Mallory have both been spoken for and will leave us in the next few weeks. We'll be keeping Ellie for a while to see how she matures and if she seems to be a good prospect for the show ring. Of course, she would have to be the one with the loudest mouth. She is still protesting when I put the puppies in separate crates for the night. The protests no longer go on all night long but they are loud and intermittent.

Rafe, who is Mallory, Max, and Ellie's sire, has a show next weekend. Last night after I groomed him, I decided we should take some pictures because I wanted to see what his coat looked like in a photo. I was pleased! Here is Rafe, age 14 months.
Rafe, 14 months










Rafe, 14 months








Windy also was groomed last night. She does not have a show next weekend, but she is going to show in early March. Again, I wanted to see what a photograph showed of her coat's progress. She is 10 months old. She has a slower growing coat than Rafe. Although they are both Walker kids, Windy and Rafe are very different when it comes to heads and coats. He resembles his sire and she resembles her dam. However, both have wonderful happy dispositions and also beautiful movement. I am eager to see what the spring show season will bring for each of them. I certainly am hoping it brings Rafe 8 more points so he'll have his Grand Championship.
Windy, 10 months    




  








Windy, 10 months




















I have more photos to share plus some snippets from some really nice letters people have emailed me recently, but I will leave those for another day. 

 Finally, as always, please remember that life is better when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment