Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Updates and Puppy Photos

Izzy when she was a year old
This week, I've heard from Judy in Indiana, who has two Joyslyn's Lhasas that she is training for agility. One of them, Izzy, recently was entered in her first agility trial. Judy wrote, "Izzy was true to form, and looked at the first jump as if she had never seen one before! We will be attending a 'dog motivational' seminar in Leslie's new building in late March. She loves attending class, but you know Izzy. Her larger than life personality makes her a very special special dog. She is still my doctor." Judy's other Joyslyn's Lhasa, is Ty, who is a half-brother to my Rafe (same mom) and who is a son of our GCH. Joyslyn's Heartbreaker. Judy wrote, "Ty is doing very well in class. Leslie says he will be my best dog. He loves all the contacts and is a beautiful jumper. He is still a puppy with all his antics. He is the class clown at home." He comes by the antics and clown business honestly. I  think he must be much like Breaker. Another of Judy's Lhasas, Odie, did very well at the trial and nearly qualified! I'm looking forward to seeing Judy with them when ALAC holds its agility trial in association with the National Specialty in October 2014 in St. Louis.

And the gifts just keep coming…

Citrine on her 14th Birthday
This morning, I opened my email and found a letter from Lois in NY. Here is part of it, so you will understand why I call it a gift: "Today, February 12, 2013, is Citrine's 14th birthday, which seems like a good day to send you an update on one of your older Lhasa's…Citrine is doing well. She went to the vet in January for a routine check up, and the vet told me that she is in good shape for her age, except for her teeth…Citrine is a happy, mild-mannered girl.  I call her Citrine the Beauty Queen because she prefers to sleep until 9 or 10 AM, doesn't like going for the 6 AM grooming appointments, and doesn't like to get her feet wet.  She likes to see visitors, but will sit quietly on the floor while someone pays attention to her.  She isn't overly friendly (like the two Dachshunds), but she doesn't hide behind the couch and bark (like my two other Lhasas). Citrine definitely isn't a lap dog, but she does like to sit next to me on the couch and loves to sleep on my bed. Occasionally she will play with the youngest Lhasa who is almost 6. The one dog that Citrine doesn't like is Heidi, the 10 year old Dachshund. Heidi isn't a particularly bright dog, and she repeatedly steals Citrine's treats. Heidi will stand and look at Citrine until she forces Citrine out of one of the dog beds because Heidi wants to take it. Both of these actions are always accompanied by a lot of growling from Citrine. It has been a pleasure having Citrine in my life, and I have no regrets adopting her. She is such a joy to me."
This is our Ch. JaMa Joyslyns Deja Vu (DJ - Citrine's sire)

Lois' reference to adoption is because she adopted Citrine in 2005 from the person who was Citrine's original owner. I point this out because sometimes people are reluctant to adopt older dogs. As you know from my own stories recently about Davy, Zach, and Belle, many times breeders have wonderful dogs that they decide to part with (never an easy decision) in the hope of finding wonderful, loving retirement homes for them. I have been fortunate in that regard, and as a result, have met some great people who love my dogs sincerely.
Belle

Mary sent a Valentine card with a photo collage of her Lhasas on  it. Very cute. I especially liked this one of Belle. She must be yawning, but it looks as if she is yelling. I thought it was funny so I cropped it out to share.

The puppies are all doing well. Two of the older ones will soon be leaving. Mallory leaves on Friday for her new home in SC. Max leaves next Friday for his new home near Chicago. Ellie is going to be beside herself! She is staying here for a while until I can determine whether or not she'll be a viable show prospect. If not, I have a long list of people waiting for a female puppy who I know would love to have her. She is adorable but is a tiny thing. She seems to be all fluffy coat, although there is definitely a dog under there, a very determined young lady indeed! She knows what she wants.


Ellie, 10 week
Max, 10 weeks
Mallory, 10 weeks
The "little boys" or "the babies," as they are known right now are growing and getting cuter by the day. As yet they remain un-named, although names in the running today are Mason, Hunter, Riley, Shadow, Rowdy, Luke, Moses, and Bishop. I had eight other names on the list before I narrowed it down to those! And these are just the call names, mind you. The exercise gets more complicated when it's time to individually register them with AKC. Naming my kids was easier! The lists were not as long, that's for sure.

The colors of the babies are fascinating. The black puppy seems to have some red color in his coat, giving it a rusty appearance in the right light. The dark gold puppy is marked like a black and tan on his legs and butt, with tan cheeks and eyebrows. Of course, that marking was easier to distinguish when he was born than it is now. Interesting. He looks dark because the gold is dark, nearly a brown, and it seems that he will have a black overlay across his back. Right now his back looks black but if I push his coat the wrong way, I see a deep gold color. It'll be interesting to see his color in a few months.
Raven's boys, 3 weeks

The next two days will be busy for me as I bathe Mallory for leaving and Rafe and Windy for this weekend's show. Rafe is being shown. Windy is going along for the ride, the goal being to get her acclimated again to the sights, sounds, and smells of a dog show. Her last show was in Belleville in December. She was in season and did not have a good ring experience. She held her tail down and generally was not into it! Our training classes have not yet started. I also have to get in gear and pack my clothes as well as all the dog paraphernalia! The bulk of it seems to be "contingency packing." If you have show dogs, you  know what I mean. If you don't, but if you have ever had young children you had to take anywhere, it's the same concept!



Wish us luck!

Being "grandparents" to an Affenpinscher, we were excited by the Affie's win at Westminster. What a grand way to end a show career! Many congratulations to Susan Giles and "Kid" who won the Breed at Westminster and who represented the Lhasa Apso and all of us Lhasa lovers well in the Non-Sporting Group. We were cheering for you, Susan and Kid.

Show dog or not, give your Lhasa(s) a big hug and kiss today and everyday. They give us so much love.

Life is better when you have a Lhasa to love you.

Joyce





No comments:

Post a Comment