Wednesday, January 30, 2013

More of the Same, Mostly Pictures

Happy Wednesday! In Macomb, the rain continues to pour, and our few days of balmy, spring-like weather (a co-worker says her tulips are up about 2"!) are turning to winter, with freezing rain and snow in the forecast. Oh the joy of midwest winters!

Again, I want to encourage any of you who do not own an exercise pen to get one! Mine have been so valuable during the snows and rains. I always have one set up in the garage, with newspapers covering the floor. This offers an alternative potty spot when the snow is piled up outside, the frigid wind is blowing, or the rain is pouring down and neither you nor your Lhasa wants to venture outside. Have you ever had one, eager to go out, that puts on the brakes when you open the door and she sees the weather? You can read  "You're crazy, lady, if you think I'm going out in THAT!" in her body language. Ex-pen to the rescue!

Ellie, 8 weeks
Inside the Johanson home, the puppies are growing. Maggie's three are now 8 weeks old and going through a "terrible two's" stage where they are determined to see what kind of mischief they can get into. For example, piddle pads are now considered toys and objects for shredding!
Mallory, 8 weeks

Max, 8 weeks
Another change that happened is that Monday I separated them, so that now they are sleeping in their own crates, rather than with each other in the whelping box. Oh my, you'd think the world was coming to an end. During the day, I escape the ruckus by going to work, and in the evenings of course the puppies are running around the family room, playing with toys, and trying to get away with chewing on the corner of the area rug. But at night, when all should be quiet and calm, they are screaming their unhappiness about being separated. All. Night. Long.

I know that "this too shall pass." I hope it happens soon! This is a strident trio!

Raven's puppies are now a week old. They are content and well-fed and that is about all I can say about them at this point. (They are also quiet!) As always, I'm looking forward to when we can take pictures of them with their eyes open.

The only other tidbit of information regarding the allergy question has been a recommendation to use Dinovite. I looked at the website and was interested in the grain-free treats they offer for sale. Anyway, I hope the suggestions that people have made for the last three postings will help any of you who are dealing with a Lhasa with allergies. Thanks to all who responded to my request for information.

Belle's pretty face
Belle's new owner, Mary, sent me an update and some photos of Belle with her new Lhasa friends, Roman and Moka, with whom she gets along well, playing, sharing toys, sharing a bed. Belle's new family also consists of Ragdoll cats and Mary tells me the 17-year old cat loves Belle and that Belle licks his ears. Belle also enjoys obedience classes and Mary hopes to move her to Rally one day. As you can see, she still has that long, lovely coat. Mary has even continued my tradition of keeping Belle's hair in braids. Thanks for keeping in touch, Mary!

Henri and Kitty
My daughter sent pictures of the four-legged members of her family, Kitty and Henri. Henri is an Affenpinscher.

And Loretta sent pictures of Griffin II (Rafe's litter brother) proudly wearing his new sweater. She wrote, "I have never had a dog that would wear a sweater nor even want one near him.  Griffin, on the other hand, did not want to go outside because of the cold...so we bought him a sweater and he loves it! ?  The red patch on the back of the sweater is a pocket ....you know....for his credit cards and identification etc."  

I'm always grateful for photos and updates on my "kids." Judy, Whisper's owner emailed, "Whisper loves me so much. I am slowly working with her to be less kissy and more content to snuggle. Her inclination is lick, lick, lick my face to show how much she loves me... I often call her "Kissy!" She has such a precious soul, and such a petite and beautiful face. Sometimes when I glance at her, I have to do a double take because she is so beautiful and her eyes look right into my soul. She definitely is where she belongs and is extremely happy." Whisper is a litter sister to Maggie and Raven.

 Once again, in the hope of getting the blog to work for Internet Explorer users, I have tried something new, based on the advice of the Blogspot folks. I hope this time it works for you all. If you have time to let me know, please do.

Life is better when you have a Lhasa to love you.

Joyce





2 comments:

  1. I can't get over how much Max looks like his mom. Amazing.

    Raquel

    ReplyDelete