Monday, July 30, 2018

Show Results and Some Photos






Life is Better When You Have A Lhasa To Love You!

That was just a reminder in case you've forgotten. When I last wrote we were gearing up for the Burlington Kennel Club dog show that is held here in Macomb. We had 120 more dogs entered this year than last year. I was exhausted by the time the weekend was over. I am a member of the BKC and the Friday before the show was a flurry of people preparing the site for dogs and their exhibitors. Since we were in the Western Illinois University Rec Center, the floors of the courts had to be covered with tarps. That meant a lot of lifting, unfolding, bending, and taping! (My knees are still recovering!) The kennel club had a lot of support from members of various clubs in the community and soon the site was ready for the doors to open for exhibitors.

Thankfully, our electrical problem was repaired before the arrival of company who were coming to stay at my house for the show--but only by two days. We had been without power in two bedrooms and both bathrooms from June 29 to July18. I can't even begin to count the number of times I walked into our bedroom and bathroom and flicked the light switch out of habit only to have the room remain dark! So aggravating! (and so expensive to repair!)

Friday night, Lynn and I hosted a small dinner for five friends and fellow Lhasa exhibitors. I served what we call "Russian Chicken." It is quick and yummy, both what I was aiming for after a long day of helping to set up for the show. Mix a package of onion soup with a bottle of Russian dressing and a can of whole berry cranberry sauce. Pour into a 9 x 13 pan. Add boneless skinless chicken breasts. Pop into the oven at 350 for about an hour. Ta-da! Serve over rice. The sad thing is that in this town anyway it is impossible to find Russian dressing anymore. (Do ya think it's because we're all mad at the Russians??? LOL) Anyway, that used up the last bottle of Russian dressing that I had. The hunt is now on for more!

We had a great weekend at the show. Chance took WD for a point on Friday and on Saturday took WD and BOW for a 3 point major. That puts his count at 9. He needs a major and 3 singles for his championship.

His official photo has not arrived yet, but here is one that Carol Washburn took at the grooming set up. Thanks for all the great photos, Carol, and for coming to the show to cheer us on!
Chance age 11 months
Bekka took Reserve Winners Bitch both days to her and Chance's litter sister, Gabby. Gabby finished her championship on Sunday. She'd won five 3-point majors, all from the puppy class over just the past couple months. Gabby is now Ch. Joyslyn Golden Tu Karlyn Fire 'N Ice. Her owners are Jan Graunke, Karen Schlais, and me.

These photos are of Gabby giving kisses to two of her "mommies" after she won on Saturday. Thanks again to Carol for the photos.

And here is Bekka with me. She may not have won but she showed like a champ! One more major to go and she'll be a champion too!




This photo is one taken of Gabby at the show in June in Grayslake. Thanks to Jan for sharing that photo.

Josh took Best of Breed on Saturday and also placed second in the Owner Handled Group.

Perhaps the most fun of all on Saturday was that I was able to show little Autumn (Joyslyn's Wind Song) in the beginner puppy class. She was just 4 months old on that day. At first she was apprehensive but then she strutted around the ring like she owned it. After she showed, I passed her off to a friend and told her she might have to take her back in for Best Beginner in Show because the Lhasas in the regular classes were about to go in the ring. Evidently, Autumn made a lot of new friends as she was held at ringside. I made it back to the Beginner ring just before Beginner Best in Show started. (I think the lady holding her was disappointed that I made it back!) Again, Autumn showed like she'd been doing it forever. She won Best Beginner Puppy in Show. Here is a casual photo of her and me at the grooming set up. (Again, thanks, Carol). Later Miss Macomb came by and got some Autumn cuddles and kisses.

And...she's off (again)!

No sooner was the show over and clean up complete (aching knees again!) than I was gearing up for the next thing on my calendar, a two-day "Summer Camp" for early childhood  teachers and providers. Set up was on Tuesday and the camp was on Wednesday and Thursday. This year's theme was Literacy, and I was excited to be giving three presentations (well, one presentation repeated  three times!) titled "Exploring Quality Children's Literature." Somewhere on FB on the Starnet Regions I and III page there are videos of me singing "Ain't Gonna Paint No More" and reading a section of "Creepy Underwear," both favorites of mine, along with "Pete the Cat" and hundreds of other children's books! No sooner was I home than I was grooming dogs again.
Next on the schedule is a trip to Florida to visit my daughter, son-in-law, and two grandsons, ages 3 (almost 4) and 17 months. After that, there is a wedding in Kansas!

And thus I end as I began, with the gentle reminder that

Life is Better When You Have A Lhasa to Love You! 

Give yours lots of hugs and kisses.

Joyce




No comments:

Post a Comment