Friday, June 24, 2016

Updates



“One of the biggest disadvantages of being grown up is seeing the time rush by faster.” ~ Pawan Mishra, Coinman: An Untold Conspiracy



See the photo of The Scream to the left? Well, that is how I have been feeling this month. So much to do, so little time. Add in some stress and frustration...

I do not know where June went. I had intentions of posting to the blog for Father's Day. That day came and went.

Here is the quotation I planned to use, just so you know I actually had plans: "I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren't trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.” -- Umberto Eco

May and June were months of chaos here, as nearly every one of our girls came in season and all the males have been in a constant uproar. Those of you who have been waiting for news of puppies, keep your fingers crossed that the two breedings we did result in pregnancies. Puppies should be due around the first of August if all goes as planned.

Did I tell you that I retired January 1? You could not prove it by my June schedule. I was (still am after returning to work part time) the Associate Director for an office that runs completely on grant funds. Our Fiscal Year 2016 funding ends June 30, so we've been busily working all month submitting budgets, work scopes, and narratives for continuation funding for FY17. The stress came because our university's deadlines and the funding agencies' deadlines are not the same.

My June weekends have been full also. The first weekend I drove to Cincinnati and back in one day to pick up two Lhasas (Shadow and Windy) from Mike Lucas. Mike's wife, Marilyn, long time Lhasa breeder and exhibitor, passed away in March. Shadow (Ch. Cozmos Chiennoir) stayed here with me and the following weekend I made another long drive to deliver Windy to her new owner. Both girls are doing great in their new homes.

My granddaughter came to spend a week with us. It was great, but the poor girl had to spend some time with me at the office. Boring. Poor thing. I'm sure that is not what she had planned for her week at her grandparents. (We made time for some fun activities too!)

I did make time for a dog show in Ft. Dodge, IA, last weekend. I entered Greta to give her some more ring experience, hoping so much that maybe this time she would get her tail up and have fun in the ring. Mary entered Riley, Joyslyn's Wind of the Spirit, who is Greta's older full sister from an earlier breeding between Duncan and Windy. Mary was hoping that Riley would get the last point she needed for her championship.  Mary got what she hoped for. Riley beat Greta both days. Now Riley is Ch. Joyslyn's Wind of the Spirit.

Riley's championship means that her mom, Windy (Ch. MLS Dakota Dancing in the Wind at Joyslyn) now has enough champion offspring to qualify for her Register of Merit award from the American Lhasa Apso Club.

Although I did not get completely what I hoped for at the show, there was a glimmer of light at the far end of the tunnel. Greta held her tail down when she was in the class by herself. When she was in the Winner's class and behind Riley, she did get her tail up after a few steps. That is encouraging. I guess I am not as patient as I used to be. I keep wondering that if she is so unhappy in the ring if I should just give up. I'm not quite ready to do that yet.

Other Joyslyn kids are doing well in the ring. Cinder, Joyslyn MLS Dakota Windy Winter Night Mon Ami, owned by LaVonne Bennett and me, has been doing well at shows lately, taking WB earlier this month at a WI show and again yesterday at a MN show. Cinder is a full sister to Josh (GCh. Joyslyn MLS Dakota Wind Breaker). Here are some pictures taken at the grooming set up yesterday before and after her wins.

Cinder chilling as she waits to go to ringside

Cinder with her ribbons

Cinder's daughter, Mon Ami N Joyslyn's Shades of Summer (Misty), bred and owned by LaVonne and me, took Reserve to her mother, Best of Breed Puppy, and Non-Sporting Puppy Group 3 at the same show.


Karen Schlais and Jan Graunke's Ch Karlyn Golden Tu Sing Soft Kitty to Me (Penny) took Best of Breed at that show. Penny's sire is GCh. Joyslyn's Heartbreaker.


Thanks, Karen, for sending the photos and show results.

I'm stuck at home this weekend! Ho-hum!
Next weekend, however, is the much anticipated Kettle Moraine show. The Greater Milwaukee Lhasa Apso Club is hosting two specialties. I have entered Jenna one day and Greta the other day. Keep fingers crossed that Greta relaxes and gets her tail up.

I found this great quotation about dogs that I want to share:
"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It’s the best deal man has ever made." – M. Acklam



 Mary Reese send me a link to a video of Joyslyn's Beauty Secret (Belle) during an agility trial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FIA3-9z_E0&feature=youtu.be 
I really like watching her go up and over the A-frame. This is the girl that hated the show ring!


Sad news came from Shannon: "About 14 years ago we came to pick up our puppy from you. Her name was Mia. We had to say good bye to Mia this past Friday and it was one of the hardest things we've ever had to do. She was raised with my 4 children and loved by them so much. She will forever be in our hearts. I wanted to say thank you for letting us be a part of her life, she was a wonderful dog and will be greatly missed."





















Kristi send a cute photo of Vader, who is a litter brother to our Kimmi.





















As I look ahead, July and August calendars already look as crazy as June's was. I suppose it keeps me from being lazy! I am especially looking forward to the Burlington Kennel Club's July dog show which is going to be held in Macomb this year on the campus of Western Illinois University, only 6 blocks from my house!

Life is Better When You Have A Lhasa To Love You!

Joyce




No comments:

Post a Comment