Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My New Champion!


I realize I said I would not post anything until after the specialty, but I have to share my exciting news from Saturday's dog show. In August my friend Jane, who shows Shibas, and I decided that we would enter the Saturday show in Freeport, IL. We both had dogs we wanted to show to give them ring experience before our respective national specialties, but since I had a church obligation on Sunday, we decided one day would have to suffice.

It was a great day for both of us! Jane's dogs each won a point. I showed Maggie in 9-12 puppy and Raven in Bred-by Exhibitor. There was also an Open Bitch. Raven won! The one point she earned gave her the last point she needed for her championship. Maggie took Reserve. She was adorable in the ring, happy and tail-wagging. She really loved it. Then Raven had to compete in the Best of Breed class against a special—and Raven won! It was a totally unexpected (yet very welcome) win since the specials bitch she competed against is a Group winner. It was certainly a nice win and I was grateful for it. I decided to give Raven more practice and took her into the group ring. She needed to learn to stand for a long period as that is something she'll have to do at our national specialty. For never having been in the ring for such a long time and with so many "strange-looking" dogs, she did just fine.

Maggie, as the only Lhasa puppy entered, was awarded the "Best Puppy" ribbon which entitled her to participate in the Non-Sporting Puppy Group. She showed well and took a Group 2. The judge had a difficult time choosing between her and the Boston Terrier puppy. He kept going back and forth between the two of them. I don't know what the deciding factor was but we took 2nd. After he handed me the ribbon, he told me she was a very nice puppy. I knew that!

The photo of Raven accompanying this post was taken in August when she took Winners Bitch at the Twin City Lhasa Apso Club specialty.

People have asked what I plan to do about showing her at the national. Since I paid a bunch of entry money already, she'll still be shown. I will move her up from the 9-12 Puppy class to the Best of Breed class. She will look totally out of place in the ring with the other dogs whose coats are dripping on the floor, but that's okay. It'll be fun to show off my newest champion!

Saturday is only a few days away. My house is strewn with clothes, equipment, auction items, food, and other sundry items that seem like "must haves" for the trip and the week in Albuquerque. I have multiple checklists lying around also. I keep making new ones…

I'll let you know how it goes.

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce

2 comments:

  1. Congatulations to you and Raven. And a forthcoming Happy Birthday!!!

    Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Raquel! It is hard to believe our "kids" will soon be a year old. Time sure has gone by quickly. You'll have to send me a new picture of Hilo one of these days.

    ReplyDelete