Thursday, September 23, 2010

Updates



Pictured: Secret and the Invincibles toy that wasn't invincible!

First, an update on the Invincibles toy I bought for Secret, our resident "I-can-kill-any-squeaker-you-give-me" Lhasa. Recall that in a previous post I told you Secret would put to the test the Invincibles' invincibility. Sadly, the toy failed us! She had all three invincible squeakers dead in two days. I emailed the company to let them know my 10 lb. Lhasa had succeeded in doing what other larger, stronger-jawed dogs had failed to do. I emailed the company representative a digital photo of the toy so he would know which one I bought, and I also sent a scanned receipt from the show vendor as proof of purchase. The company is sending me a new toy, which I thought was very nice.

Since Walker will not be shown for a while, this week I cut about 2" off his coat. That was hard to do (not the actual cutting, of course…but getting myself psyched up to undertake the task). His coat is so long and pretty. The 2" merely took it to floor level, so although it no longer drapes on the floor, it is still quite long. Already I can see that the trimming resulted in healthier looking hair. It'll be in good shape for his next shows, and I think he'll actually be able to move better without all that extra length.

I am not-so-patiently waiting for the show photos from the Des Moines shows to arrive. As you read in a previous post, Walker took a Group 4 and a Group 2 at those shows. Evidently Sunday's judge mismarked her judge's book, indicating that the Shiba Inu was awarded the Group 2. AKC can straighten out the problem, but I need the photo for documentation.

Belle, Zach, and I will be in Freeport, IL for the shows on October 2 and 3. As much fun as it is to show Walker, I need to concentrate on the young ones for a while so he is staying home. It'll be relaxing to have only two to worry about getting groomed and into the ring. Three was crazy enough – and four made me a total wreck. I am always amazed at how the professional handlers manage so many dogs, so many different breeds, and so many ring conflicts.

With fall in full swing, our morning walks are resulting in the Lhasas' coats attracting a lot of leaves. We have quite a few maple and oak trees in our neighborhood. Picking leaves out of five long coats at 6 AM is not my idea of fun. At least the neighbor's gum tree is not dropping those prickly little balls all over everything right now.

I've been very remiss these past few months at maintaining our dogs' website. That needs to change! Anyway, I was surprised this week to get a call inquiring about the adult female I had referred to on the website. (That would be Secret!) I had forgotten that I had posted we had an adult female available! I had had no inquiries. So I was in a panic, thinking "no way can I let Secret go!" I responded in a very wishy-washy way on the phone. Later, I re-read my own article "How Can You Give Them Up?" and calmed down. She's my "always happy, always tail wagging, squeaker-killing sweetheart." Even so, I could do it. I think I could. I really do think I could. She'd be an absolute joy for anyone.

That's it for the update!

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you!

Joyce

1 comment:

  1. wow secret is my Rufus's twin I rescued him 5 years ago and he's my best friend. I love the breed they are just perfect.I have a problem with him not wanting to be alone when we go to work, would a companion help him or would they just ignore each other.If you can email me with your thoughts at jedam56@gmail.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete