Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What's In A Name?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."Romeo and Juliet (II,ii, 1-2)

What's in a name indeed? Evidently a lot. Think of how long parents debate the pros and cons of baby names. It's no different for us dog people. We search for the perfect name for our dogs. Sometimes inspiration strikes quickly. Other times, it's not so easy. I know that I have often spent more time coming up with a name for one of the Lhasas than I ever spent thinking of names for the kids! Thankfully, for a few extra dollars, AKC now allows us to use some of those "perfect names" that previously had to be abandoned because they were too long to fit in the few spaces AKC formerly allowed.

Thanks to those who left comments or emailed me about possible names with "Heart" in them for Zach's AKC registered name. One suggestion led to a song title list containing the word "heart." That yielded many interesting options! I also frequently check the Jockey Club Registration online list when I'm trying to name a dog. Again, some unusual and interesting options resulted. I went to Amazon.com and searched for book titles containing the word "heart" and ended up with a lot of romance novels with sexy-looking men on the covers and titles like "Captive Heart," "Wild Irish Heart," "Ravishing Heart" and "My Passionate Heart."

Of course, a lot of the names on the various lists would work well for naming a female, but Desi's name has already been chosen, so I had to keep in mind I was naming a male.

Here is a list of possibilities, taken from readers' suggestions, my brainstorming, friends' suggestions, and the resources listed previously:

Be Still My Heart
Brave Heart
Change of Heart
Close to the Heart
Eat Your Heart Out
Heart and Soul
Heart of Gold
Heart Stopper
Heart of the Matter
Hearts Afire
Heart's Delight
Heart Twister
Heart's Quest
Heaven in My Heart
Hero at Heart
Jack of Hearts
King of Hearts
King of My Heart
Knave of Hearts
Lion Heart
One Determined Heart
Piece of My Heart
Playboy at Heart
Playin' with My Heart
Secret Heart
Straight from the Heart
Thief of My Heart
Thief of Hearts
Thunder in My Heart
Total Eclipse of the Heart
Turn on Your Heartlight
You'll Be in My Heart
Warrior at Heart

I really like a few of these names and have not yet made a decision. I can see many possibilities for future puppies' names so I definitely need to hang on to the lists I've made. If inspiration strikes you or you want to "vote" for a favorite name on the list, let me know!

Now, here are ones that I rejected from the song title list, for obvious reasons!
Vampire Heart
Heart Attack
Stomach vs Heart
Cold Hard Heart
Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
Don't Phunk with My Heart
Your Cheatin' Heart
Heartache Tonight
Heart of Stone
Wooden Heart
Let the Heartaches Begin

And "Hearts Lettuce" from the Jockey Club website didn't turn me on either! Man, they give those horses some weird names! LOL

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you.

Joyce

1 comment:

  1. Wow Joyce, many of the names sound good...what a selection.. good luck!

    ReplyDelete