Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sharing a Poem

As some of you know, I am home from work for a few weeks while I recover from foot surgery. The surgery (on October 28) went well, and so far, the healing has gone well also. I am chaffing at the bit to be more active, but every time I try, the foot reminds me that I need to slow down.

So…in a week I have read 7 novels, completed 37 crossword puzzles and 31 sudokus, watched countless reruns of CSI, Law and Order, and NCIS, and taken quite a few naps. Oh…and yesterday I groomed dogs! Today I decided to take a trip down memory lane and look at some of the old photo albums of 36 years of dog show photos.

One thing I ran across tucked into an early album made me laugh. It is a great poem that I had totally forgotten about, called "Lament of A Lady Who's Gone to the Dogs." I have to share it with you!

LAMENT OF A LADY WHO'S GONE TO THE DOGS

There was a time, there really was, when I was sweet and tender;
When SHOW DOG meant a Disney Star, and Bitch was not a gender.

I went to bed at half past ten; I went to church on Sunday;
On Saturday I baked the beans and did the wash on Monday.

But then I got a certain pup, and an erstwhile friend said, "SHOW",
And so I did and so I do, OH! What I didn't know.

I used to dress with flair and style. That was the life; don't knock it.
But now each dress from bed to ball must have a good bait pocket.

I used to have a certain air, I wallowed in perfume,
I used to smell of Nuit D' Amour; now I smell like Mr. Groom.

My furniture was haut décor' my pets a tank of guppies.
Now I've furniture unstuffed and well-adjusted puppies.

Once I spoke in pristine prose, in dulcet tones and frail,
But now I'm using language that would turn a sailor pale.

I was taught to be well-groomed no matter where I went.
Now all the grooming that I do is in the handler's tent.

I used to long for furs and jewels and a figure classed as super,
Now the thing I yearn for most is a nice new Pooper-Scooper.

I adored a man who murmured verse through intimate little dinners,
But now the words I thrill to hear are just three: "Best of Winners."

I really love this doggy life I wouldn't care to change it.
But when I get that BEST IN SHOW. I plan to rearrange it!

When my time on earth is done, I'll go without much nudging
Just give me three weeks closing date and let me know who's judging.

~Author Unknown~

Now, those of you who don't show dogs might not know what all of that means, but I think you'll get the gist of it!

Showing dogs is NOT for everyone. It does mean getting up early, getting the van loaded just right, driving for hours, grooming for hours, hurrying up and waiting for those few precious moments in the ring and the judge's evaluation of your dog. After 36 years of doing it, I cannot help but wonder what my life would have been like had my husband not said, "Maybe we should show Buffy…" and if we'd never been bitten by the dog show bug. I know I would have missed knowing some great people, loving some wonderful dogs, crying many tears of frustration, sorrow, and joy. I've worked hard. I've learned much. I have a long way to go...

I know that some day, I'll have to quit and rest on whatever laurels I've earned. In the meantime, I'll laugh at this little poem. I am truly a lady who's gone to the dogs!

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you.

Joyce

3 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better and that your foot heals well! Tashi and I are enjoying our daily "fetch" games outside. He loves his squeaky toys! His groomer says he stands like a show dog while she is grooming him...he's fab. Thank you again for such a wonderful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! The healing is going well. Stitches come out Tuesday. I'm still not allowed to drive or go to work. My wings have been clipped and I feel caged! The dogs like it that I am home. They are a blessing. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. An intriguing discussion is worth comment.

    I do think that you ought to write more about this subject matter,
    it may not be a taboo matter but usually people
    do not speak about such topics. To the next!
    Many thanks!!

    my web blog :: stability ball exercises arms

    ReplyDelete