Monday, March 16, 2009

About Showing Dogs

Someone once remarked that showing dogs is a lot like gambling. We win just enough to keep us coming back! That may be true.

I always say that dog show people are some of the most hope-filled people I know. Most have the attitude that "there is always next weekend," and indeed that is true. On the other hand, I've meet some very negative people also. For example, when I first started showing, I traveled with a couple other novice exhibitors to the shows. One person in particular was always a complainer. From the moment we got in the car, she'd start: "I don't know why I even bother bathing and grooming this dog. She's not going to win today." and on and on in the same vein. Even if she did win, there was always something to complain about all the way home!

Needless to say, traveling with her was not much fun, especially if she lost and I won! She never celebrated any one else's wins. It was easier just to wallow in misery of her own making.

Fortunately, that exhibitor didn't last long. (Gee wonder why??) I was able to make new friends who showed me that, win or lose, you do your best, you love your dog, you laugh at your mistakes -- and learn from them -- and you try again next week.

Come to think of it. That's a pretty positive lesson for just about anything we do in life!

Life is good when you have a Lhasa Apso to love you!

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment