Sunday, March 29, 2009

Nature Reminds Us Who is in Charge

I'd planned to go to a dog show today. As I wrote in my last post, the weather at this show is usually rainy, making parking, unloading and loading equipment, and getting dogs from grooming building to show ring difficult. Well, today the weather is ugly again, but this time we have snow and icy roads. I decided to stay home. My dogs look gorgeous and I want so much to show them off. Today I think it's better to be safe than sorry. There will be other shows.

What weighs on my mind more heavily than missing a show is the plight of those intrepid people who live along the Red River which is rising steadily and threatening so many homes and lives. I have a dear friend who lives 2 miles from the Red River in Fargo. Through Friday, she was in touch by phone and email, sounding positive about the situation and the hard work and attitude of the people in the area who were fighting nature for their town. She shows Lhasas also and at one point had a plan for evacuating herself and the dogs. That plan fell apart on Friday and I have not heard from her since Friday evening regarding evacuation. She said she would not leave if she could not take the dogs. My heart aches as I imagine what she and others with pets are going through. Thankfully, as result of the lessons Hurricane Katrina taught us, most cities prepare a place where pet owners can safely evacuate with their pets, saving lives of many who would have stayed behind with their animals.

Those of us who are not enduring the hardships of freezing weather, snow, and impending flood can only worry and pray. I'll be doing a lot of both until I hear from my friend again. If you are reading this, please join me.

Life is good when you have a Lhasa to love you.

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment